Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: AVI File problem  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
AVI File problem
« on: November 05, 2004, 23:23 »
Ok i've got a Digital Video Recorder (CCTV) recording 4 cameras.

The archive method is AVI files to compact flash and that seems to go ok onto a 1GB compact flash card.

Then when i try to replay it on windows media player (which is the recomended program to play the file on), on their PC i get fuzzy lines and when i try it on my PC all i get is a single picture  ???

Anyone know why my AVI file wont play back on my windows media player which has the latest updates  ???

PS. I think their pc may need windows updates run and the latest media player downloaded but mine is up to date and we are both using XP Pro.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:AVI File problem
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 00:51 »
Which version of AVI is it? Is it the windows format(as I imagine) or is it the DIVX format?

Could be the DIVX codecs are playing silly beggers (if installed)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 01:05 »
Not sure Dack!!!

This digital video recorder has a compact flash writer in it and it says to play back on windows media player and the card seems to take the file ok  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 01:12 »
Hi Dack, Cammy sent me a clip and its not Divx but its not a normal avi format either  :-\
Avi check says its not a supported avi and all other progs I have such as gspot for codec info dont know what it is apart from an MJPG ???
I am trying blaze media at the moment to decompile it into its individual frames and then re animate it with gif animator to see what that does but theres no audio stream showing in any of my progs either  ???

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 01:25 »
MJPG is a bit of a strange format - the old Matrox cards used to save in that format. More suited to editing than playback.

http://www.sportsci.com/adi2001/adi/services/support/faq/other/mjpeg_codec_guide.asp
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 02:02 »
I downloaded pic2mjpg codec and that changed from a static single picture to a static double picture.
Downloaded the morgan one and that plays all the way through but shows vertical stripes and no discernible pictures just very bright blocks of colour.
The static pictures were very clear and sharp.
If I play it in wondows media player 9 its got the stripes, if I play it in classic media player it has the two static pictures  :-\

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum