Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 2 x 64K connections  (Read 3508 times)

Offline lodge

2 x 64K connections
« on: January 19, 2003, 14:55 »
Is it possible to set up 2 x 64K connections on one PC using two different ISPs?

When I try to make the second connection, I  get an error message saying that the Microsoft dialup adapter is in use.

Would appreciate any help/guidance anyone can give.

Thanks.

:)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Re:2 x 64K connections
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 15:12 »
:welcome:  Hiya Lodge, thanks for swinging by.  I'm not an expert on the arcane science of protocols, or the way that PCs handle Internet connections, but I would imagine that unless you're using something like Diamond's 'Shotgun' method of connecting two seperate 'phone lines to a shotgun-capable modem, you won't be able to do this.

One of of more tech-savvy members would be best placed to give you a definitive answer on this one, though.  Stick around and become unhinged like the rest of us.   ;D

Edit:  Link added.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 15:20 »
Welcome to the forum Lodge.  Just to clarify, do you mean that you want to run your ISDN modem at 128K, i.e use both digital lines at the same time?  Or do you mean that you want to run two ISP's at the same time each at 64K?  I'm not certain how the latter could be achieved but Adept has ISDN so if there is a way he might have the answer.

Adept

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 15:23 »
Hi Lodge, Welcome to PC-Pals :)

I've heard that there is "connection-teaming" software available to do this. I'm not sure how it wouid work though :-

I'll do some research and see what I can come up with for you.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 15:26 »
Good old Google ;)

A search on "ISDN connection teaming" came up with the goods straight away :)

Have a look at http://www.midpoint.com/connteam.htm

Only one downside though Lodge - it cost £125! :o

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2003, 18:02 »
:heehee: is that you JH having a wind up :gotcha:  :welcome:
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline lodge

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 23:52 »
Hi Tony

It was actually thanks to your email yesterday that I found this forum. After the fiasco with that strange EZ troll creature which was widely publicised on ISPr, I looked for, but couldn't find this URL. Anyway, here I am.

I've moved on a bit since asking the original question in this thread, (the answer to which is that you can install a second virtual dialup adapter by downloading it from your OS CD-Rom via Control Panel > Add/Remove programmes > Windows Setup > Communications.

So now, I'm currently running one connection at 128K (through Home Highway) and I have the capability of adding of adding another 56K through an entirely separate line, making 184K in all.

I know that you can do something called 'Connection Teaming' through Midpoint  -they've got a downloadable evaluation demo, and ultimately it's £125.

There's also Surf Doubler which comes in at a more affordable £46, and also with an evaluation period.

I've downloaded each of them in turn, but I can't get either of the damn things to work. If I could, I might be very tempted to get a second Home Highway and get a 256K connection, since broadband is a non-starter here.

That's about where I am at the moment. Sorry to use this forum to write my life story and thanks for all the replies.

Cheers. :night:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2003, 00:54 »
As you know Lodge I found having a seperate connection via each channel of my ISDN card handy when both my ISP's had two hour mandotary cut off's.

But since I signed up with PlusNet [no cut off's]I find I have little need of the connection continuation when one line drops. I'm mean I have gotta go to the loo some time  :)

But my requirements are better served with 64K [lower pings] than with bonded channels giving 128k. Our exhange is not even down for consideration for ADSL conversion. BT reckon it's not worth doing at any cost, Plankers. Even so there are 95 interested parties still registered.

And hows that old dog Merlin going on, do you hear from him, and is he still searching for or found the ultimate 128K ISP?  Anyway nice to have you on board mate.

PS: The joke I sent you was from the Blonde Bomshell  ;) I'll introduce you but you'll need a key to the Danger Zone to see her at her best  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 01:04 »
Oh dear Tony dont tell me you have found yet another MCP to torment us poor ladies with  ::)
Lodge its ok for you to make jokes about blondes,as thats what theyre there for,but stay off the redheads and brunettes  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 01:39 »
Quote from: Sandra <br /><br />I'll have you now good lady[/quote
:yoops: excuse my typo Sandra  :heehee:

Serenity,

it was your parrot joke that I sent to lodge, as I say i reckon it is one of your best yet, who's a clever girl then  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 01:43 »
Well there do seem to be quite a few lurking in the shadows Tony  :P

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 07:20 »
Quote from: Tony The joke I sent you was from the Blonde Bomshell  ;) I'll introduce you but you'll need a key to the Danger Zone to see her at her best  ;D<br />[/quote

ah ah!!! NOBODY  gets the key to MY pandora's box  ;)  however, feel free to enjoy my &quot;art&quot; at its best  ;D

Adept

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 09:40 »

Oh dear Tony dont tell me you have found yet another MCP to torment us poor ladies with  ::)

Lodge is a Microsoft Certified Professional ??? ;)

Adept

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2003, 09:44 »

I've moved on a bit since asking the original question in this thread, (the answer to which is that you can install a second virtual dialup adapter by downloading it from your OS CD-Rom via Control Panel &gt; Add/Remove programmes &gt; Windows Setup &gt; Communications.

So now, I'm currently running one connection at 128K (through Home Highway) and I have the capability of adding of adding another 56K through an entirely separate line, making 184K in all.

Ummm... I'm confused ???

How does having two connections to two different ISP help at all? Surely this doesn't give you 128K as only one of these connection can be the gateway at a time and therefore only one is &quot;active&quot;. Or am I missing the point somewhere?

Confused of South Wales,

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2003, 10:02 »
Adept,

I know lodge achieves his 128K connection via Fast24 [he's a braver man than I am Gungerdin  ;D] by using both channels on his ISDN connection. And I deduce from his post that if he was to buy Midpoints team bonding software, he could in theory have an additional 56K to give him 184K.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum