Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Scam Merchants  (Read 6059 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Scam Merchants
« on: November 17, 2004, 23:45 »
I have just been looking for some free web space to save several photos in.  After "Googling" I came up with three "services" that looked promising, only to find that the first two demanded a $5.00 "refundable deposit" - which wasn't mentioned until almost all the sign up process had been completed and only the final button remained to be hit.  Fortunately, I had used Spamgourmet disposable e-mail addresses to sign up in the earlier steps, so these crooks who try to gather your e-mail address for selling on won't catch me out.

The third service actually had the gall to claim on the front page of the "free" service that it was ideal for storing files, only to ask for $3.99 a month for the "Premium Service" if you wanted to upload anything, otherwise it was text only.

Does anyone know of a free web space service, that isn't solely devoted to conning "customers" out of their e-mail address and giving them something useless in return?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Scam Merchants
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 23:52 »
Please ignore the last paragraph in my earlier post.  I have searched this forum and found Freewebs, so I'm having a look at that.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 23:53 »
Isn't there something called Photo Bucket which some people use on here?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 00:15 »
Ah well, Freewebs is working, although my pic seems to have resized itself and has elongated me!

Simon.  Thanks. I'll have a look for Photo Bucket.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 00:29 »
Thats possibly the forum software Dave, it has to be exactly 100 x 100 pixels to use as an avatar  :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 00:33 »
Ah!

I took it with my Mini Digital Camera/Webcam and resized it to 100 x 80 before I uploaded it.  I suppose if it has resized to 100 x 100 I will be a bit taller!

Thanks, Sandra.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 00:34 »
It wouldn't do that, Sandra.  If it's not exactly 100 x 100, it just won't appear at all.

You'll just need to fiddle around with the sizing, Dave, until you can get a 100 x 100 square image, which is correctly proportioned.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 00:37 »
It sometimes does auto resize on a good day Simon  :)
I noticed it doing it about 18 months back when Lobo was trying some out, some it did some it didnt  ???

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 00:45 »
I've had a look at PhotoBucket and will sign up between 11am-1pm mst, which is the only time you can currently register for free accounts.  However, it definitely looks worth having - and I can't see any catches!

:)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 01:41 »
Have you tried this one Dave?  :D

http://www.villagephotos.com/
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 03:33 »
Are you just looking for a site to host pics on?

I find http://www.imageshack.us/ useful. ;D
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 22:49 »
Thanks, everyone.  I'm spoilt for choice now! :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 22:58 »
As I suggested in the first post of this thread, those offering free web space are only interested in harvesting e-mail addresses to sell on to spammers.

Normally, I get no spam at all.  However, for a couple of weeks after signing up to these conmen, I began to receive spam.  I have just checked my Spamgourmet account and all the addresses I used have reached their limit and are now unusable (unless I top them up) proof that they were passed on.

Never trust something for nothing.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 23:22 »
Dave, I was on holiday when you started this thread, but I seem to remember that the tinyurl people also have a free photo storage service.  I posted it on the forum but I can't find it at the moment.  Also, have you tried Geocities?

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 23:25 »
Thanks, Clive.  I'll take a look at both of them.

:)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum