Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: c++ binary file ops  (Read 6963 times)

Offline davypipes

Re:c++ binary file ops
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 10:24 »
thanks again!!! and oohhhh....HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! so i kinda wanted to ask you some advice...well on programming languaghes!!  since i see uve done alot..some of them ive never had off :-\(z80..isnt that some kind of robot? ;D) Is delphi better than vb?
a friend of mine was telling me that u can make an appl with delphi which will be smaller than the same one done on vb!!! is this true :-\

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:c++ binary file ops
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 20:27 »
Size isn't always that important :)

You can get better speed results using a massive, pre-computed look up table in some application than a much smaller bit of code that computes the values dynamically. It's very much a 'horses for courses' kind of argument.

My view?

Visual basic easy to learn and develop applications quickly  - latest .NET version much better than older versions. However you are limited to Microsoft's language - though it does propagate to other MS products e.g. Excel.

Delphi is probably best thought of as a visual version of Pascal - free download from http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_delphi.html. Better for 'real' work and tends to be faster. You might want to have a search for DeDe too ;) Also look at Kylix.

C/C++ - current language of choice as I've developed lots of useful classes over the years which make development easier for me. Can be incredible infuruating though - Microsoft development environment not too bad. Because of the wealth of people programming in it there are usually routines available to perform any task you need (though most require a bit of tweaking).

Good place to look at for examples is over at www.codeguru.com

hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum