Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Need a graphics card for laptop  (Read 666 times)

Offline Lindsay

Need a graphics card for laptop
« on: November 22, 2004, 20:04 »
Howdidoo all.  :)
I just bought a Dell Latitude 100L and the graphics card I have the now is em.. Intel Extreme Graphics 82852/82855
Processor is Mobile Intel pentium 4 cpu 2.8GHz
256mb ram
OS is XP professional
Anyway I got the sims 2, knowing that the graphics wouldnt be that good, and it was as I expected, slow.. so I need a new one, but I'm not sure what I should consider seen as how its a laptop and I've not had one before. (I take it there is extra stuff you have to think about?) Also I want this laptop to last a long time so I am a bit worried about prodding around inside it.  :-\
So what should I look for?
Thank you!  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Need a graphics card for laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 21:18 »
Unfortunately Lindsay, I dont think that you can do anything  :(
As with most laptops the graphics are embedded in the chip on the mobo.
Yours works by using the system memory and according to the Intel site if you have 128 to 255mb ram then it allocates 32mb for the graphics, with 256mb upwards it allocates 64mb.
So thats your limit I am afraid  :(
Even if you increased your ram it doesnt seem like it would allow anymore to be used for the graphics as youre at its maximum already  :(

Offline Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:10 »
Aw  :( So nothing can be done at all? Not even by a professional?! How can I get the most out of what it has?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:08 »
You could try updating the drivers to the latest ones from the manufacturers site and play around with the Hardware Acceleration settings in the display properties.
Not sure if it will improve anything but thats all I can think of trying  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum