Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Rest in peace VHS  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Rest in peace VHS
« on: November 22, 2004, 23:48 »
In a move that marks the beginning of the end for a hugely successful chapter in technology history, Britain's biggest high street electronics retailer Dixons has announced that it's taking VCRs off its shelves for good.

"We're saying goodbye to one of the most important products in the history of consumer technology," Dixons marketing director John Mewett said. "We are now entering the digital age and the new DVD technology available represents a step-change in picture quality and convenience."

All over the world, the revolutionary VHS (video home system)--which let people record and watch television programs when they wanted rather than at the whim of broadcasters--is in headlong retreat as the DVD (digital versatile disc) takes over.

Dixons, which had sold VCRs for 26 years, is not alone. Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, offers only a handful of stand-alone VHS recorders on its Web site.

"VHS was pretty revolutionary," VHS player collector Andy Hain told Reuters on Monday. "The fact that people take them for granted so much today shows just how important they were."

For more than 25 years, VHS dominated the world home entertainment market after seeing off a challenge from Sony's Betamax in the early 1980s.

By the 1990s, a VHS recorder was a common feature in most homes as prices fell and technology improved--although the art of actually programming a recorder remained a mystery to many.

To add insult to injury, police grudgingly admit that in Britain at least, home burglars don't even bother to take VHS players because new ones now cost so little that no one wants a second-hand model.

When DVDs first came along in the mid-1990s, sales were initially slow, but now sales of DVD players outstrip those of VHS players by a factor of 40 to one globally. Leading high street film rental company Blockbuster reports that over 80 percent of its rentals are DVDs.

Far from undermining the film industry, DVD sales can make the difference between loss and profit.

Internationally, the market for DVDs--currently estimated at some $15 billion a year--is expanding exponentially. The industry expects that some 450 million households will have a DVD player by 2008.

But the explosion of DVD technology has brought a surge in piracy--discs may offer better-quality viewing, but they're far more quickly copied than tapes (and they're easier to carry).

The demise of VHS vindicates the foresight of Hain, who has been collecting VHS players for the past 11 years and has set up his own museum of video recorders.

He admits on his Web site though, that the museum is rather small. "This is partly because VHS decks are a little dull," he reflects.

Dan Ilett of ZDNet UK contributed to this report.

By Reuters
http://news.com.com/Rest+in+peace+VHS/2100-1041_3-5462745.html

Story last modified November 22, 2004, 9:57 AM PST
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Rest in peace VHS
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 23:36 »
Oh I give up!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  Tomorrow is another day.   :D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 13:43 »
Am I going senile or has this thread been repeated in another section.  ???

Simon and Clive, get your act together. :P
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 14:11 »
All Simon's fault Lona.  He's just completely out of control these days.   :peep:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 14:15 »
Bloody cheek!!  ;D  As you will now be aware, Clive is suffering from jet lag, which, of course, affects the elderly much worse. :P  He is therefore going round repeating posts other people made while he was away.  My advice is to totally ignore Clive for the next week to 10 days.  

:baad:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 14:19 »
No change there then Simon.   :heehee:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 14:22 »
Who said that?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 17:44 »

Who said that?  

Stop talking back to your elders. Have some respect for the elderly.  :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 08:02 »
If I can get back on thread for a bit, its not all honey in the DVD World. Over Christmas I got back into my Video Recorder, and recorded some films. The quality of playback was superb -no freezing-no blocking-no refusing to play! I think DVD has some way to go yet to be perfect, as does Digital Telly.

:P :P
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 11:45 »
I agree in part, DG.  DVD recorders are great, but as yet there are very few Digital TV Boxes available, which are fully compatible with most DVDRs, therefore, it is practically impossible to get the best possible picture quality that DVDRs are capable of..  I also find timer recordings with DigiBoxes and DVDRs fiddly and time comsuming to set up, and there doesn't yet appear to be a system, which is fully user friendly, and without annoyances.

I have to disagree regarding VCR picture quality, though.  I have an excellent, top of the range Sony VCR, which produces the best PQ I have seen from any video recorder, but it's not a patch on the PQ delivered from my Sony DVD player, from which there is also the advantage of Digital Surround Sound.

Offline WSTEWKIM

• New Registration
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2005, 08:37 »
I purchased my first HIFI VHS by mitsubishi in 1990.  It worked wonders for about 11 years then the tuner started dying on me.  I replaced it with a Panosonic for 1/4 the price and great features.  Like auto time set, commercial skip, etc.  I use it only for recording my favorite weekly programs.  I'm not going to give up my VCR quite yet.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 18:15 »

I'm not going to give up my VCR quite yet.

Same here.  We have 5 regularly used video recorders in the house and no plans to pension them off anytime soon.  dVD recorders offer excellent quality but its still so much easier to slam a video in and press record.  

Luddite dave  ;D

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Rest in peace VHS
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 21:26 »
Just thought I'd say,

You know blockbusters are doing this deal where you can take your video's back for Cash or money off rental etc.

Do you know how much you can get !! >>>>>>

Its amazing!!

It doesn't matter if they are old or new either .......

you get an astonishing 40p per video !!

Needless to say, we didn't bother.  :roll:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Rest in peace VHS
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 21:26 »
Just thought I'd say,

You know blockbusters are doing this deal where you can take your video's back for Cash or money off rental etc.

Do you know how much you can get !! >>>>>>

Its amazing!!

It doesn't matter if they are old or new either .......

you get an astonishing 40p per video !!

Needless to say, we didn't bother.  :roll:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Rest in peace VHS
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 23:29 »
You're repeating yourself, Michelle.  :wink:

first sign of senile dementia.  :D  :D  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum