Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless Network and Static IP  (Read 998 times)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
Wireless Network and Static IP
« on: December 12, 2004, 17:36 »
Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can help...

I have a wireless internet router that connects to the PC via ethernet cable and provides broadband to my PC. My ISP (Force9) gave me a 'sticky' IP address (It hasn't changed since I got it, but it may change in the future - they say).

Anyway I need to connect to a lecturers server (we develop web pages and need to upload to his server). He has assigned my sticky IP to have access to the server, but I still can't access it.

Doing a IPCONFIG command in DOS it states my IP is my local IP (192.168.0.1) not my sticky IP, is this why I can't get access to the server?

Any ideas anyone? I'm not too hot on networks.

Thanks

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Wireless Network and Static IP
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 22:46 »
Hi DJ, your IP as shown by IPCONFIG is your LAN IP addy for that particular pc, whereas your sticky IP is your WAN IP and thats what he should have allowed.
Are you using FTP or HTTP to access his server ?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 22:51 »
Thanks sandra for the response.

I am using FTP to access his server, I think my setup is correct, I just wasn't sure if my sticky IP should show on IPCONFIG or something similar.

I think it must be a firewall or similar problem with the server i'm trying to access.

I have also ensured he has allowed my WAN, but I can't ping his server either - maybe a firewall problem?

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 23:05 »
Yes I would go for the firewall as a first guess, can he not assign you a username and password rather than just allow your IP to access it ?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:54 »
We all have folders on the server - which are protected by usernames and passwords and we can access the servers when on campus.

Its when off campus we have a problem, he said he could only assign an IP to allow access to the server, then we log in to our own folders.

I think it must be the university firewall protecting the server, I'll speak to him later this week and see what else can be done.

Thanks Sandra

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 11:55 »
Accessing a server while on a LAN is different to accessing it on the WAN. The firewall is the most likely cause but it could be thats its not set up correctly for WAN access. Do you know if others can access it ok over the WAN  ???

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 12:01 »
I'm unsure Sandra - will have to ask around.

It isn't much of a problem - just means I need to complete my work whilst on campus rather than having access to it off campus.

I'll let you know if I get it sorted.

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum