Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Security Software - The Sensible Alternative  (Read 1108 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Security Software - The Sensible Alternative
« on: December 20, 2004, 13:12 »
Is it just me, or is keeping security software up to date becoming a major faff.  For example:

My current anti-virus, the German AV-FREE, updates the whole program every day, up to a 15MB download, a nightmare on dial-up, which means I can only be bothered once a fortnight.

AdAware, once a weekly (at most) update can now send out three new signature files a day.  Who can be bothered with that?  Not me.

The same can be said for Spywareblaster, Spybot, and the rest.  It's a complete pain in the butt.  In fact, I have got so fed up with it that I am now thinking about using a spare computer to connect to the internet, loading just Windows and Opera and nothing else, and formatting it once a week to remove any nasties I might pick up.  It would be a darn sight quicker.

What is needed is a radical plan to end the activities of hackers, virus writers, spammers, and the other assorted sub-human low lifes who have nothing better to do than make our lives a misery.  I think a virus writer, after apprehension, should have their eye burned out with a poker and caustic soda poured into the hole.  This should be televised live, uncut, and globally, so as to deter the rest of the scumbags.

A totally fed up,

Chorleydave.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Security Software - The Sensible Alternative
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 13:30 »
I hadn't realised that AdAware sent out so many updates these days.  I wonder how many hours are wasted by each and every one of us in trying to keep ahead of those scumbags?  I sometimes now get as many as 300 spam e-mails every day and at least 10% of them contain attachments which are presumably viruses.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 15:05 »
OK, so it isn't free, it costs about £7 per year, but there is an option to upgrade Spyware Blaster to an Auto Update version, which checks for, and applies updates invisibly.  Saves a lot of faffing.  I update and run Ad Aware and Spybot about once every three weeks, and they rarely find anything, because Spyware Blaster catches any nasties first.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 15:38 »
Its you Dave  

;D :P
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 23:40 »
Well, I have done it and will stick with it until I go broadband towards the end of next month.

After sitting  almost a hour through a nine megabyte anti virus update on Monday, not to mention AdAware updates etc, I hit the update button this morning and there was another seven megabyte treat for me.  Out came the old PC, Windows 98SE was loaded, Opera was loaded, a modem was inserted, TOTAL FAFF JUST 37 MINUTES and I am now using that for the time being.  Every Sunday morning I will save my e-mails onto a CD RW, format, reload, and save myself at least three hours a week of excruciating boredom.  Of course, once I am in the fast lane I will revert to my main PC as nine megabyte downloads will take minutes, not hours, but no way was I going to continue like that.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 00:05 »
Oh, I forgot to mention.  I don't send out many e-mails, but if I need to send one to anyone here don't worry - I still have my main PC set up with anti-virus definitions up to the 20th December, so I will plug my phone line into it and send them from that.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum