Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Epson R200 Printer Problem  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Epson R200 Printer Problem
« on: November 08, 2004, 21:19 »
Some time ago in the Much Cheapness thread, there was a printer offer from Index, which I went for, but didn't get the expected discount, so I returned the printer.  However, I passed the offer on to a friend, and they did get one, but are having problems printing photos.  Normal printing is apparently fine, but photos come out extremely dark, and discoloured.  Does anyone else have this printer, and if so, what are the photos like?  Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this?  I have seen the photos and the quality is dreadful.  I am even wondering if the printer might be faulty.

Thanks for any ideas.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Re:Epson R200 Printer Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 21:44 »
Use better paper :)

The resolution of the R200 is too high for some of the cheaper photo papers (the amount of ink it places) - if you drop the quality of the print down you'll find the pictures improve.

Had the same problem with some Kodak photo paper - looked like the person had a bad case of leprosy on the printout  :P
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 22:33 »
Well, it's Kodak paper they were using.  So you reckon don't select 'Best Photo' from the Printer Options?  Worth a try I suppose.  Know what you mean about the leprosy.  I 'quick fixed' the contrast and brightness on a pic, and sent it to them to print, and the result was apparently very blotchy, and worse than before!

Will pass on your suggestions - thanks Dack.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 22:51 »
Epson paper works very well with these printers Simon  :thumb:

I even got not bad prints on normal inkjet paper  :o but on good photo paper they are as good as taking a film to be developed  :o  :boogie: ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 22:58 »
This is what makes me wonder if the printer is faulty, as the quality is so bad, but I will forward the advice from Dack and see what happens.  I'll also recommend Epson photo paper.   ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 18:53 »
As an update to this, I have just heard from the person who's printer this is, and they have now tried using proper Epson paper, on all of the quality settings, and the photos still come out very dark and discoloured.  We are now working on the assumption that the printer is faulty, but if anyone has any more ideas, I would be pleased to hear them.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 23:37 »
If they have tried all the usual ways of adjustments well it does sound faulty Si  :-\

It should print great on any paper and be like photo quality on good photo paper.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 23:46 »
Normal printing is fine.  It's just photos that come out bad.  I really can't say if they have done all the 'usual adjustments', because I am not familiar with the printer myself, but it seemed to have much the same in the way of configurations, as my C62 does, and I've suggested everything I can think of.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 23:56 »
Well i mean that they have selected the right kinda paper and opted for the highers quality printing on picture and it should be as good as any photos  :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 10:33 »
They are using high quality Epson paper, as recommended by Epson (funnily enough!), and have tried all the quality options, without success.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 10:47 »
Really thats all you should be expected to do with it and it certainly sounds faulty in that case and should be replaced  8)

Offline bomber

• New Registration
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 21:02 »
I have just purchased the same myself and have had the same problem using photowizard. If you print direct from PhotoShop or Scanning software the results are fine. Having spent almost 10 hours trying to resolve the problem I can only suggest that there is a problem with Photowizard drivers but I am unable to download any drivers to rectify the problem from either Microsoft or Epson. If I find any appropriate drivers before I am taken into a mental institution I will let you know. ;) :D :D ;)

I hope this helps you.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 21:43 »
Hi Bomber, and  

I had actually forgotten to update this thread, but the problem is now resolved, and was something to do with the printer settings.  The owner of the printer got in touch with Epson, who helped her sort it.  I will try to find out what the solution was, and post it here.  I don't think she actually installed the PhotoWizard software, so I don't think that was the problem in this case.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 21:32 »
Here's the response from Epson, re picture quality from R200:-

If you are experiencing dark images when printing from the Picture and
Fax viewer or Print Wizard in Windows XP Service Pack 2, this is because
the software uses its own specific ICC profile.

Firstly I would suggest updating your current printer driver to the
latest version from http://www.epson.co.uk/support/download
<http://www.epson.co.uk/support/download>

The solution using the Wizard is to select "ICM" in the printers
advanced driver settings.

To do this please follow the below instructions:

Click Start > Control Panel > Printers & Faxes or Other Hardware.

Right click your EPSON icon and select Printing Preferences.

If you see a Custom option click this first and then click the Advanced
button. Otherwise click straight into the Advanced menu from the MAIN
tab. Select ICM on the right hand side. Please ensure No Colour
Adjustment is NOT ticked.

Apply and Ok the settings to save.

If you do not select the above setting the printer driver will use
double-conversion and you will experience poor results.

Please be advised that the problem you are experiencing is not in
relation to the EPSON printer or driver software. The issue does not
occur when printing from the Picture and Fax viewer or Print Wizard in
Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Alternatively you can download, install and print with the latest
version of EPSON PhotoQuicker from the following link.
ftp://ftp.epson-europe.com/pub/download/25/epson2536eu.exe
<ftp://ftp.epson-europe.com/pub/download/25/epson2536eu.exe>

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum