Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Problems connecting to a network  (Read 685 times)

Offline goteamben

Problems connecting to a network
« on: January 14, 2005, 20:08 »
Hi guys, just wondering if you can help my flatmate out.

The situation is that we're in halls in university, and she wants to connect her laptop to our high speed connection thing, she didnt have a network card, so we went to pc world, and they recomended the Belkin USB10/100 Ethernet Adapter (which we've plugged into the pc, and we have a wire running from that to the wall socket.  We've installed the drivers, but still cant connect (it says 'Detecting proxy settings' or something similar on the bottom bar of the IE browser.)  We're a bit confused by the manual, so if someone could tell us what we should be doing next that'd be great.  Incidently, she's using windows 95, if that's important.

Thanks in advance

Ben (and Aine)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Problems connecting to a network
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 21:04 »
Hi Ben (and Aine) and :welcome:
I havent used 95 on a network so I dont know if its the same as it is on 98 but I will assume that it is.
Does it say on that unit that it will work with 95 ?
Have you got a folder called network connections showing after you run the usb/ethernet drivers ?
If it has done there should now be a LAN icon in that folder.
Righ click it and see what it says in the properties, it should have TCP/IP amongst possibly a few other things but if there isnt TCP/IP listed then we have to look further  :)

Offline goteamben

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 21:18 »
Ah silly me, it's only windows98, ME and XP compatable.

I actually have a copy of the windowsXP disk here, but would it be okay to install it on another pc, or would that make me a bad person  :-\?

thanks for the help thus far

x

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 23:09 »
Are the laptop specs up to running XP if its only on 95 at the moment ?
I replied to your other post re XP and I belive that you can possibly install it on a second pc if its 6 months after your last install but I dont know if there is some way of MS knowing that its running on 2 pcs  :(

If the laptop has a pcmcia slot you would be better taking the usb/ethernet adaptor back to pc world and getting a pcmcia ethernet card, as long as that works ok on 95  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum