Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Another network problem!  (Read 979 times)

Offline goteamben

Another network problem!
« on: January 15, 2005, 00:48 »
Hey again,

I'm also having problems with another friend's network connection.  I installed a network card a couple of days ago, and everything initially seemed to be working fine, but it appeared to disconnect her from the network a little later (sometimes two mins, sometimes 20,) on closer inspection it doesnt actually seem to disconnect entirely though - in the network connections menu, when we double click on the connection the status is still 'connected' and the duration lengthening, however, no programs are able to access the internet (IE, msn messener, etc) and the connection has to be disabled and enabled before they work again.  We've tried disabling XP's firewall after someone suggested it, but that did nothing, any other ideas?

thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Another network problem!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:08 »
Is this in the universitys network again Ben or is it a home one  ???

Offline goteamben

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:12 »
This is the university one once again.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 02:34 »
Have you tried it on another outlet/lead or another pc/laptop thats stable on that outlet/lead  ???

Offline goteamben

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 04:52 »
Nope we haven't.  So it sounds like something's faulty as opposed to not set up right?

Ben x

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 13:45 »
If its partially disconnecting at random times I cant see it being the setup, although anythings possible  :)

You could have a look in the device manager and go to the network adaptor then properties and then power management and untick "allow the computer to turn off this device".
I doubt its that though as you say its still showing the length of time connected  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum