Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Uninstalling graphics card  (Read 10771 times)

Offline reanne

Uninstalling graphics card
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:34 »
Hello

I've got an intergrated graphics card which i want to replace with a Geforce FX card. To uninstall my exsisting card, im supposed to go to add.remove programs, and remove the card, but its not there. Is there another way to uninstall it?  :?:

Thanks
Reanne

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:44 »
Hi Reanne,

Once you have fitted the new card, I think you have to go into BIOS (press Del when booting up), to disable your old integrated graphics, and tell it to use the new card (AGP or PCI).  You will then have to install the drivers for the new graphics card.  Let us know if you need more help with that.  I would tend to leave the old integrated graphics installed, in case you ever need to go back to using it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline reanne

Problems already
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:42 »
This is so weird. Usually when i start up the pc, i get the black screen for a few seconds where it's loading and then windows xp comes up. Ive installed the new card but now, im not getting that black screen where i would go into the BIOS. Instead, the monitor just doesnt display anything, its as though its off (that orange light is on instead of green) until the blue xp screen is up.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:52 »
Have you installed the drivers for the new graphics card yet?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline reanne

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 13:07 »
No. I thought you said i had to to the BIOS thing before i installed the new drivers. Ill do that now then.

Offline reanne

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 13:38 »
Ok, installed the new drivers. Made no difference. I think i should uninstall the intergrated graphics driver. If i do that, will the Geforce fx card automatically kick in?

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 13:49 »
Without wishing to state the bleeding obvious, you have connected the monitor to the new graphics card, yes?

Whenever I have installed a new graphics card in the past, I have always:-

1. Fitted graphics card in slot (AGP or PCI depending on card)

2. Switched to new graphics card in BIOS

3. Connected monitor to new graphics card

4. Installed software / drivers for new graphics card.

I don't think I have had to uninstall the integrated graphics drivers, as once it's changed in the BIOS, Windows should ignore them.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 13:57 »
You need to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated grahics Reanne.
When the pc restarts it should detect the new GFX card and either install its own drivers for it or ask you for the location of them, whether its on the CD or you have downloaded them to your hard drive  :)

Offline reanne

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 14:00 »
I attached the monitor to where i had it before  :blush:  It never said to change in the instructions book. opps

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 14:03 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
You need to go into the BIOS and disable the integrated grahics Reanne.
When the pc restarts it should detect the new GFX card and either install its own drivers for it or ask you for the location of them, whether its on the CD or you have downloaded them to your hard drive  :)

There's an echo in here.   :roll:  :wink:

Offline reanne

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 14:29 »
Okay, i conntected the monitor to the new graphics card. Then when i started up i got a black screen with some writing saying FX5200 BIOS

Then i got another screen that said DELL, etc. and up the top was F12 BOOT, F2 SETUP

Then the third screen was the windows xp screen

The fourth screen was just blank and with nothing happening.

Pressing delete in any of these screens did nothing.

So, to go into the BIOS do i need to press F12? And then what, exactly do i need to do to disable the first grahpics card etc. Can you take me through it step by step, as though im a 2 yr old, stating all the obvious.  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 14:52 »
The BIOS entry is also called SETUP Reanne so you need to press F2 on your particular pc.
Once you get the BIOS screen up you need to go through the menus, the one you probably want will be called Advanced or Integrated or similar although some BIOS do have different things in different pages and different types of pages.
You want to look for something like Onboard Graphics or Integrated Graphics and disable it.
There will be instructions at the bottom of the screen for how to alter the settings, usually you use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the item you want to change then sometimes its press Enter to open a submenu and others use the Page Up and Page Down keys where others use the + and - keys to change values.
Once you make any changes in BIOS its alwys a good idea to write them down so you can change them back if something doesnt work as it should afterwards.
Dont forget to select save changes and exit as you leave the BIOS otherwise it wont change anything when it restarts  :)

Sorry Simon, I didnt read what you wrote as being the same as I did or mentioning the disable in BIOS part to stop conflicts between the onboard GFX and the newly added one  :?

Offline reanne

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 15:20 »
I went into the BIOS. It had the option intergrated devices so i went into that. Then there were these options:
sound
network interface controller
mouse port
usb emulation
usb controller
PCI slots
serial pot 1
parallel pot
diskette interface
primary video controller
onboard video buffer

The onboard video buffer can only be changed from 1 to 8 so i dont think thats it. I went for the pci slot since thats were the video cards are and disabled that but then when i saved and restarted, nothing happend at all so i dont think thats it. (This is all with the monitor pluged into the new card)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 15:37 »
Not seen one just like that Reanne but I would think that its the primary video controller that you need to look at.
Did it give you options of disable/enable only or were there some others too  :?:

Offline reanne

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 15:52 »
Just checked the primary video controller. That was on auto and gives me the option to change it to onboard.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum