Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Uninstalling graphics card  (Read 10773 times)

Offline reanne

Uninstalling graphics card
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 16:03 »
If i go to system, and device manager, i can enable/diable the cards from there. At the moment, it says their both enabled.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 16:08 »
If it only has Auto or Onboard options in the BIOS then leave it at Auto.
Thats a strange BIOS though  :(
Disabling it in the Device Manager isnt really the way to do it as it will re enable it each time your pc reboots.
Can you tell me which make and version of BIOS you have so that I can see if I can look up exactly what youre options are.
Is it a Dell or a Compaq PC by any chance  :?:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 16:25 »
Quote from: "reanne"

Then i got another screen that said DELL, etc. and up the top was F12 BOOT, F2 SETUP

Looks like it Sandra.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 16:54 »
Well spotted Clive  :D

Now all we need possibly is the model or preferably the make and version of the BIOS itself  :)

Offline reanne

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 17:31 »
Hi. Im having problems getting into the BIOS again that i had earlier.  For the last half hour ive been trying to get to it but the monitor wont show that part, its off until the user account screen is up. And thats with the monitor attached to the old card. With the new one, nothing happens at all. I'll keep trying, i might get there in a few hours.

Oh, i looked on my system info and it says BIOS Version/Date Dell corporation A05 02/12/2003

Offline reanne

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 18:00 »
O.K. heres the situation. Ive uninstalled the new video card so i can start again from scratch. I can now get into the BIOS. I looked on Dells website and theres this article=

FAQ - DISABLE ONBOARD VIDEO   [ Edited ]

* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* When the blue Dell logo appears, press F2
* Right arrow to Advanced
* Down arrow to Peripheral Configuration [press the ENTER key]
* Change Integrated Video to Disabled or Auto [press the ENTER key]
* Press F10 to Save and Exit
* Once back into windows, click Start- Turn Off Computer- Turn Off
* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Attach the monitor to the added PCI video card
* Turn on (or restart) your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the video card
* Right click the My Computer icon
* Click Properties
* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
* Open the Display Adaptors. You should see both the the Intel and the added PCI video card. The added PCI video card might have an exclamation mark on it
* Double click the listing for Intel whatever
* At the bottom under "Device Usage", click the down arrow and change this to "Do not use this device, DISABLE"
* Click OK- Apply- OK
* Close all boxes when done
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

I pressed F2, the BIOS came up. However, i cannot right arrow to advanced. Theres no advanced title on the screen. The first two titles are system date and time so if i right arrow, it just goes on to the date, enabling me to edit it which isnt what we want.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 18:22 »
I think that you must have entered the first screen Reanne.
The options should be along the top for using the left and right arrow keys.
I cant find any screenshots of it to show you unfortunately yet  :(

Offline reanne

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 22:59 »
Hey. Ive found out that my BIOS might need upgrading. Below is what im supposed to do.

The alternative is to just burn the 4400_A06.EXE file to a CD.  That file can be found at this link here.  Once it is burned to a CD make sure your CD drive is the first drive in the system's boot order and then reboot the machine using a bootable CD like the Dell Resource CD.  Once the machine is booted up then switch to your burnt CD and manually run the 4400_A06.EXE file from the command prompt.  The BIOS upgrade program will then run and prompt you into updating the BIOS.  When done just switch the system's boot order back to the way you had it.

I have no real idea what its saying. How do i make sure the cd drive is the first drive in the systems boot order?
To reboot using the dell resource cd, do i have to put the disk in, and then restart the pc?
How do i maually run the file from the command prompt?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 23:17 »
You shouldnt need to update the bios Reanne.
It can be a risky procedure but not as much these days as it used to be.
The only time I would advise doing an update is if you needed a bigger hard drive than the original bios would support.
The boot sequence is set inside the BIOS and is usually Floppy or A drive as first device, followed by the hard drive or C, followed by the CD drive.
I just wish I could see which screens and options you have when you enter the bios so I could tell you exactly which part to change  :(

Offline reanne

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 12:52 »
Hi Sandra. Ive been searching for a solution to this for days. I finally found it! This is what i needed to do:

Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Leave the monitor connected to the onboard video because nothing will come out of the PCI card until the drivers have been installed
* Turn on (or restart) your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card or the XP found drivers if you prefer
* Turn off the computer
* Plug monitor into the new PCI card and power up
* When the blue Dell logo appears, press F2
* Down-arrow to Integrated Devices [press the ENTER key]
* Down-arrow to Primary Video Controller
* Use the left/right arrow keys to switch between onboard or Auto. Set it to Auto
* Press escape to Save and Exit
* At the first beep or on the blue Dell screen, tap the F8 key or the F5 key
* At some point, the Advanced Options menu will appear
* Select Safe Mode [Press the Enter Key]
* Select the first or only operating system listed [press the ENTER key]
* Right click the My Computer icon
* Click Properties
* Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
* Open the Display Adaptors. You should see both the the Intel and the added PCI video card. The added PCI video card might have an exclamation mark on it
* Double click the listing for Intel whatever
* At the bottom under "Device Usage", click the down arrow and change this to "Do not use this device, DISABLE"
* Click OK- Apply- OK
* Close all boxes when done
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

I feel like dancing  :laugh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 13:25 »
Sounds a more complicated way than I have come across before Reanne but I am glad you managed to sort it out  :)

I wonder if thats specifically for a PCI graphics card and not for an AGP one as I have never had to set one up using the onboard display initially.
I have never installed a PCI one, only AGP ones.  :?

Offline reanne

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 13:45 »
When i was searching for a pc, i never came across one that had an AGP slot. Nothing ever goes smoothly for me. Theres something wrong with my monior now. Its green. Bright green. Any ideas?

Offline reanne

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 14:30 »
Ignore me. I updated the drivers and everything seems fine now.  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 14:38 »
Yup, that'll do it  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 12:03 »
There's nothing like resurrecting an old thread is there  :wink:

I'm having a similar problem trying to install a AGP card into a PC that has onboard graphics.

AGP Card: NVidia GeForce MX4000
OnBoard: S3 ProSavage DDR
Motherboard: Shuttle MV43N.

I've tried to install the drivers for the AGP but it says no compatible card detected.  I have also tried disabling the OnBoard graphics in Device Manager but that didn't work.

In the BIOS I have set the Primary Graphics from PCI to AGP but this only results in 8 beeps at start up. Also in the BIOS there is an option for Shared Memory to the PCI card - I set this at none (was 32mb).

I'm not too sure on the correct order to do things (i.e. put the card in, drivers and disabling the onboard graphics).  Can someone please give a step by step guide on how to switch over the onboard to AGP.  

I'm sooo confused!!

Thanks

DJ

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum