Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Uninstalling graphics card  (Read 10772 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Uninstalling graphics card
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 12:20 »
Ideally you should uninstall the onboard gfx drivers from the device manger, shut down the pc, install the AGP card then as the pc starts go into the bios and disable the onboard gfx and enable the AGP card if necessary. When the pc boots into windows if it cant find the drivers use the cd that comes with the card, even if the OS installs its own drivers the ones on the cd may work better so it may be worth updating the drivers to the cd ones.

Most people would just stick the AGP card in and disable the onboard gfx in the bios and not bother with uninstalling the old drivers and probably find that it worked without any problems.

Is the AGP card compatable with your mobo, there are different voltages for some cards and mobos, check the specifications of both if unsure.
Although Geforce MX400s seem to be able to work with most mobos  :?

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2005, 12:24 »
Thanks for the prompt response Sandra. I'll try this later today and let you know how I get on.

DJ

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2005, 12:09 »
Hi Again,

Tried the above but it didn't work.  I uninstalled the onboard graphics and then shut down. On restarting entered the BIOS where the following options are shown:

Plug & Play Aware O/S:     YES
Share Memory Size:         32MB
Primary Graphics Controller:    PCI
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA:     YES
PCI IDE BusMaster:   Disabled

I changed the primary graphics from PCI to AGP, but it still output the video through the onboard card.  When entereing windows it didn't detect the AGP card.

I have also tried to change the 32mb to NONE, but this results in no output and 8 beeps (Video error?) on startup.

Any more ideas?

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2005, 12:35 »
Quote from: "DJ"

PCI IDE BusMaster:   Disabled

I think this is your problem.

As far as I know the AGP bus is linked to the PCI bus so it should be enabled.

Hopefully enabling that will allow your card to be detected  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2005, 15:13 »
Nope it still doesn't detect the card  :cry:

I have also switched the 32mb to none - but that results in the 8 beeps.

I think I'll have another go at the weekend and see if I get any further.

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2005, 15:30 »
Did you check the voltages of both the card and the AGP slot ?

Some are 1.5v,  some 3.3 v I think.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2005, 17:06 »
What speed graphics card are you using?  2x, 4x, 8x?  Does your motherboard support the card you are trying to use?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 20:00 »
Quote from: "Sandra"
Did you check the voltages of both the card and the AGP slot ?

Some are 1.5v,  some 3.3 v I think.

I've finally found out that the card can support 1.5v or 3.3v. How do I find out what voltage my motherboard supports?

http://global.aopen.com.tw/Products/vga/mx4000-v64.htm

Quote from: "Simon"
What speed graphics card are you using?  2x, 4x, 8x?  Does your motherboard support the card you are trying to use?

Its 4x or 8x speed, my motherboard is set at Auto, I will try and set it at 4x or 8x.

Will report back soon  :laugh:

DJ

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2005, 00:04 »
As far as  know there are only those two voltages so if your card can use either it wont be a problem.

With the bios set at auto I would have thought that it would be ok for the speed of the AGP card.

I am as confused as you are at the moment  :?

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 21:16 »
Hi,

I.ve just read through this thread and its very helpful,  It looks as though I have exactly the same PC as Reanne and also have the same graphics card FX5200.   I also experienced many of the same problems as Reanne but seem to find myself in an unrecoverable position.

I disabled the integrated graphics card via windows and nothing happens

I switch my PC on,  I get a chance to go into the bios and have even tried going into windows in the SAFE mode but my screen just goes blank.  i have removed the new card and have resigned myself to just trying to recover my computer.  If I can get it working again, I will then try Reanne suggested route to getting the new card working.

can anyone advise how I can get my computer back to how it was.

Many thanks in advance

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 21:39 »
Hi Neil, and  :welcome:

To start with the basics, have you plugged the monitor into the new graphics card?  If so, try the old one again.  I think, even if you have disabled the integrated graphics via Windows Device Manager, you should still be able to use it, at least to view the screen, providing you haven't disabled it in BIOS.  If you have disabled it in BIOS, then the new one should be enabled by default.  Either way, one of them should work.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 22:20 »
H Neil, does the screen never get any information on it at all ?
You said you get the chance to get into bios though, so can you actually get into bios ?

If you can then just load bios defaults and your integrated graphics should work again.
If you cant get into the bios then open the case and use the clear cmos jumper to reset the bios to its factory settings.

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 22:49 »
Without the new card in the system.  monitor plugged into original port. I switch on the PC, I get the DELL screen with the f2 for Bios Setup option.
It then changes to the Windows XP screen for a couple of seconds.  the screen then goes blank.......thats it dead!
 :cry:

If I plug in the new card, swap the monitor cable into the new card and then switch on the PC, I get the FX5200 text in the top left corner.  this then changes to the dell screen with the Bios opton and then follows the same path as above.

If I press F8 just before the Windows screen comes up and go into SAFE mode,  the screen scrolls with the names of lots of drivers in the system32 folder before comng to a stop.......thats it dead again! :cry:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 23:01 »
When you try going into safe mode, which graphics are you using?  Have you tried it with the new card?  What you should be able do is:-

1. Connect to the new card.

2. Go into BIOS and set it to boot from the new card.

3. Reboot into Windows, at which point you will get a low resolution display, but you should then be able to install the drivers for the new card.  

Hopefully.  :)

Offline neil.gc2

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 23:10 »
With the new card installed and the monitor plugged into it, I enter the Bios.  The only options in there which relate to the card are for integrated devices. I enter this and the only relevant option from the new menu is Primary video controller.  If i Scroll to this, and hit the arrow keys there are only 2 options.  

1.  Auto.
2.  Onboard.

from the earlier part of this thread by reanne it seems that the correct choice to pick up the new card would be Auto.
I have selected Auto and saved my changes.  the result is the same!

Is there a way to reset my system with an XP disc etc..

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum