Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 42  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 17:37 »
Well I now have one stick of 256 SDRAM and one of 512 DDR here and rather than bin them I may try them in another pc at some point as a friend told me that sometimes they wil work fine in one board and not in another even if they fail the test on that particular pc.
I cant see it myself but seeing as hes messed with pcs for decades and I am only in my 4th year then I will listen to his advice for now  :)

Offline HeddaLora

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 22:23 »
There was another book that came out after the original trilogy, which explained the "42". Pretty funny. I don't know whether the movie will be good, but the books are among the best ever written!

Speaking of oddball problems, I have a good one. This is back in the days of Word 97. I was programming 800 macros for a law firm in VBA at the time. Somebody there reported to me that a document which had a "checkbox" object in it would crash every time anybody right-clicked on the checkbox to change its property (i.e., from unchecked to checked, or checked to unchecked). It would totally crash Word. I was able to duplicate the problem and could not for the life of me figure it out. It was not documented anywhere on Microsoft's site. I spent several hours going through newsgroups, etc., and finally found a fix: Create a macro in normal.dot called "z", and the macro must be empty. That was it. That was the entire fix. And it completed fixed the problem. I always wondered how the fellow figured it out.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 22:53 »
It never fails to amaze me how people accidentally discover these fixes.
Having said though that there must be around 50 % of all scientific discoverys that were made accidentally or as a spin off from what they were researching initially  :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 08:28 »
id say that would be much higher than 50%! more like 90% from my own experience and of the people at my uni...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05 »
To fans of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy it will come as no surprise. They've always known the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. But in a "delightfully improbable coincidence", the film has taken £4.2m in its opening weekend.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 09:02 »
Amazing what a bit of clever accountancy will achieve Sandra.    :D   :laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum