Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: error on page  (Read 6147 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
error on page
« on: April 11, 2005, 19:02 »
on the bottom left of the page I get the above message in a little yellow triangle.

Anybody else get this message?

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
error on page
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 19:05 »
Yup  :roll:   Sam seems to think it may be due to IE, are YOU using IE Terry?   if so there doesn't seem to be a way of fixing the problem  :?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
error on page
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 19:07 »
Ok

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
error on page
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 20:04 »
I have just viewed this page in IE, and got no error message, but I know exactly the one you mean, Terry.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's because IE sometimes doesn't render HTML correctly.  It doesn't happen in Mozilla or Firefox.   :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
error on page
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 21:07 »
Me, I use IE which has no problem on the other sites, (well, it depends). Here, I have all time that yellow triangle which tells a message: "Finished (opening), but still error on the page".

If the problem is IE why it's ok on the other sites?
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
error on page
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 21:16 »
I don't get the mystery triangle using Avant either.   8)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
error on page
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 21:28 »
Quote from: "joudi"
Me, I use IE which has no problem on the other sites, (well, it depends). Here, I have all time that yellow triangle which tells a message: "Finished (opening), but still error on the page".

If the problem is IE why it's ok on the other sites?

Sam is probably the best one to explain, but as I said, I think it's something to do with the way IE reads HTML code, which may also explain why it's not just PC Pals the yellow triangle appears on.  I don't think it actually affects what you see on the page.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
error on page
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 23:17 »
I always got the yellow triangle even on the old forum so I don't think it's anything Sam has done.

As Simon says, you don't get it with Firefox.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
error on page
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 23:34 »
No triangles with Opera, either.

Offline sam

• Administrator
error on page
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 11:50 »
no triangles with netscape or konqueror either.. I dont recal them for IE on my computer either. ummm, try clearing your cache. it could just be ie being crap.

As Simon said IE doenst read pages correct. It has a nonstandard html reader. essentially objects like css (cascading style sheets) display incorrectly and our site is driven by a few of them. it is not too much different but can make huge errors if there is indenting or in general on the position.

if you want to know more about standard html and valid html (due to the use of certain functions ours is not completely) see: http://www.w3.org/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline lodge

error on page
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 07:57 »
If you click on the triangle and ask for details, it says:

Line:  51
Char: 2
Error:  Invalid character
Code: 0
URL: http://pc-pals.com/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=reply&t=15653

Offline Simon

• Administrator
error on page
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 10:13 »
Is it still doing it, Lodge?  By the way, welcome back - nice to see you again!   :D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
error on page
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 11:51 »
Not only do I get the error on page, it takes an age to load the page from start, looks like the old days are back  :?  this doesnt happen on the any other sites just this one.
Timing for this site about 15/20 seconds to load and for www.leistonfc.co.uk 2 seconds or less

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
error on page
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 12:31 »
It's like wading through treacle this morning Hook.  But it's very inconsistent because it then speeds back up again.  We have no idea why this happens apart from the fact that our database is much larger than most others.  But then that doesn't explain why it's like lightning at other times!

Offline sam

• Administrator
error on page
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 17:34 »
speed... well it is going fine here.. i havent had a speed issue in a while now. remember this page will take longer than most to open up as we are running directly out of a database - everytime you hit a button it searches the database. you will probably find that if you go straight to http://www.pc-pals.com you will be redirected immediately to http://www.pc-pals.com/phpbb - so this indicates that it is indeed the database which is slow. I am working on making things a bit neatier on that side of things.

As for the errors. Yes I know about the errors. I wouldnt worry too much - I get them in IE and Firefox, just firefox masks them away. I am slowly going through them and sorting them... but it is a long task that is a problem with the actual software we have running on the forum.. just got to find the right bit.

Thanks for your help in reporting these errors but I dont expect them to be resolve quickly.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum