Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: I've got to say it  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
I've got to say it
« on: April 19, 2005, 17:36 »
You know me, I call it as I see it, and this is my conclusion regards the new forum. Now in no way is this ment to belittle Sams exellent work for the forum.

I don't like this new forum as much as the old one. I prefered the "list of recent posts since last visit" search on the old forum. Or is it me just not using it correctly?

Plus I find it just as slow of late, and I reckon what needs to be done to speed it up.....needs to be done.......or I suspect interest will wane regards visiting the site.

As has been said by others recently, other forums manage to load alot faster, and people expect that to be the norm. And quite frankly, explaining the technical reasons why that is, goes over most peeps heads....they just think ....how come such and such forum manages to load sharpish.

The above is intended as constructive criticism, and I hope it is taken as such .
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I've got to say it
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 18:24 »
Tony, you still have "posts since last visit" at the top right hand corner of the home page.  That's much better than what we had on the old forum surely?

As for the slowness, I have to agree that it is very erratic, but we just may have solved the problem.  Keep your fingers crossed.  Criticism is always welcome!   8)

Offline sam

• Administrator
I've got to say it
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 19:22 »
As Clive said critism is always appreciated - especially when people are being informative.

The speed issue is an odd one. We have done so much to fix this and at times I just dont have a problem with it. Give us time. As Clive said fingers crossed we may have hit the nail on the head. Guess what, the most obvious thing aswell.

bare with us... hopefully you all will. I just wish i could put abit more time into sorting this out well and truely without all the umming and arhing (how do you spell those noises!)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline DJ

• Established Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 19:43 »
About the post since last visit, am i using it correctly?...

If I don't view the post at the time of visiting the forum, the next time I visit it dissapears off the list - and so the post is missed.  The only way around this is to read every post made from the last visit - something that can't always be done.

Is there a way of implementing an Unread Post function?

Thanks for your continued hard work Sam (and all the admins too!)

DJ

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I've got to say it
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 20:44 »
What you say is correct DJ.  I often find it safer to view all posts since the last day.  The nice thing about it is that it categorises them by threads so they can be read in a sensible order.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 20:47 »
I find it awkward as well DJ but recently I have started using the section at the top of the main page when its lost the markers and find the unread posts that way  :)

Offline DJ

• Established Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 21:00 »
Thanks Clive and Sandra,

Think I'll start using that 'posts from 1 day' function.

That way I won't miss any madness or mahem that goes on in here!!

DJ

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 23:04 »
Quote from: "Clive"
Tony, you still have "posts since last visit" at the top right hand corner of the home page.  

Silly me  :blush:

Cheers Sam for the replies, we all really appreciate what your doing....but I'm sure you know that.

Do the noisy animated sigs affect the speed of page loading at all ?  :roll:  :peepsofa:  :scoot:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 23:07 »
Not at all Tony, in fact they are a very nice feature that makes Pals stand out from other lesser forums  :P

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 23:11 »
:grin: Sebastian says................. WHATEVER  :wink:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I've got to say it
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 23:32 »
Quote from: "DJ"
About the post since last visit, am i using it correctly?...

If I don't view the post at the time of visiting the forum, the next time I visit it dissapears off the list - and so the post is missed.  The only way around this is to read every post made from the last visit - something that can't always be done.

Is there a way of implementing an Unread Post function?

Thanks for your continued hard work Sam (and all the admins too!)

DJ

That's exactly what I miss about the old forum - the Search New feature.  It's a real shame that this one doesn't work in the same way, in that it doesn't 'remember' which posts you have read and which you haven't.  

Just a point that some people miss, the icon in the  list, displays the latest unread post (usually!), and the icon by the member's name, displays the last post in the thread, regardless of what has been read.  I find that if I go to the 'new posts since last visit' page, then use the Back button after reading each post, without refreshing the page, I don't miss anything, but appreciate not everyone always has the time to read each and every post in one visit.

It has been spasmodically slow recently, and I have to admit, no better than the old forum, but we hope things will improve forthwith.

Thanks for your comments, Tony, and DJ.  We have no problem with constructive criticism.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
I've got to say it
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 23:39 »
Quote from: "Simon"

That's exactly what I miss about the old forum - the Search New feature.  It's a real shame that this one doesn't work in the same way, in that it doesn't 'remember' which posts you have read and which you haven't.  

yep thats the function I really miss, Simon  :cry:

Offline sam

• Administrator
I've got to say it
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 23:46 »
i find the display posts since last visit an excellent tool but i do agree at times it loses its way. once we have fixed the other problems.. hopefully we have... or on the way to... I will start trying to make this more reliable.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
I've got to say it
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 23:58 »
Err, I must get into the habit of reading the older threads first.  I only saw this after I had replied to the Pruning thread.   :blush:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum