Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Norton Firewall blocking posts to Garbage message board????  (Read 1238 times)

Offline zephra

:( Hello,
I cannot post on a website message board due to my firewall.
Norton Firewall 2004 :evil:  is blocking my posts to www.Garbage.com message board.Garbage help suggested shutting off my firewall when i go on there site just as long as i have all other browsers closed(they are nuts) :evil: .
I did shut Norton firewall down just to see if it was the problem and it was certainly the problem.I was now able to post.
I have www.Garbage.com in my permit zones all over the place I.E Mozilla NFW(all inbound/outbound permited).I tried changing security settings to low on NFW and still nothing.All my updates are current Winxpsp2 NAV NFW.
Does anyone know how to configure NFW to permit me to post on garbage's message board???
I paid money to get on there new website members only and now this??
                   Thanks,
                           -Z-

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Norton Firewall blocking posts to Garbage message board????
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 22:50 »
I know you said you have, but just to double check, have you gone into Privacy Controls (in NPF), Advanced, and added the website to the list, which you can then configure access to?  Can you not access the site at all, or is it just the forum you can't post on?  I can get into the site on NPF 2005, without altering any settings.

Other than that, do you have ad blocking enabled, or a high cookie setting?  Can't think of anything else myself, but someone else might.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 00:49 »
umm interesting.. sorry i have no more advice than simon apart from reinstalling norton. or maybe completely removing it and using something nice and light on your system resources like zone alarm :-) (sorry a little antinorton)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline zephra

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:01 »
Simon-Yes I have added www.garbage.com to my privacy list.Still no luck.I would hate to unistall NFW -Sam- because i paid for it.The old garbage.com I had no issues running NFW 2004.This was a recent as 2005.I guess my question now is why a program such as NFW would block this??It is only a message board.
                    Thanks for all the help so far
                    -Z-

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 09:38 »
It's possible that there is some sort of script in the updated message board, which NPF doesn't like, but you should be able to over-ride that in the settings I mentioned above.  Just a thought, but are you running Windows XP?  You haven't got the SP2 firewall active as well, have you?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline zephra

I got it!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 15:09 »
Thanks Everyone for your help.You guys never let me down.
 The problem was privacy controls on NFW.I did have www.garbage.com on the list to allow and i still was blocked from posting.
   The problem was with my privacy slider.It was set on medium.It would let me post on low.It turns out the board sends back browser info back to Neilsen(ratings place)So I customized it on medium and shut off enable browser privacy and it works.I wish i did not have to do that.
           Thanks again
                 -Z-

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 16:41 »
It sounds like its something that I think is called a Referrer.
If you look in your advanced options of your firewall there will be a setting that you can allow it to send referrers and then you can move your privacy slider back to wherever you want it.
I dont have norton firewall on any of my pcs at the moment so I cant tell you exactly where it is but back in the good old days of suprnova I had to set mine up to allow referrers or I couldnt download  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum