Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Antbody Bank with Barclays?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Antbody Bank with Barclays?
« on: May 08, 2005, 17:11 »
I don't, but I've just received this.  Another scam.

SECURITY ALERT:

Please read this important message   
Our new security system will help you to avoid frequently fraud transactions and to keep your investments in safety.    
Due to technical update we ask you to confirm your online banking membership details. Please fill the form below.   
Please read our latest information and advice on Online Security

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 18:12 »
Oh I had that one last week as well!  I understand that banks are no longer willing to refund money stolen from customers accounts by phishing because they claim that everyone knows about it these days and should not get caught out.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 19:10 »
I get at least 2 per week from ebay and paypal.

I forward them to spoof@ebay.co.uk

You should forward it to your bank, Dave.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 19:37 »
Just got my 1st Barclays one..had Natwest amongst others?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 21:29 »
I get those from LloydsTSB, which is a bit of a giveaway, as I don't bank with them!

Quote from: "Clive"
I understand that banks are no longer willing to refund money stolen from customers accounts by phishing because they claim that everyone knows about it these days and should not get caught out.

They may not be willing, but are they still legally required to?  Do the bank's insurers now refuse to pay out when a bank gets robbed, because everyone knows bank robbers exist?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 21:55 »
i have had natwest ones when I dont have an account in the past. The picture of the barclays email is damn convincing. Well I say that - I dont actually mean that it sounds ligit. I mean the typeset and the graphics is damn good - sort of what you would expect to see.

Barclays (I bank with them) state they will never ask for details via email. I was subject to frudualent activity on my card and they were excellent. I didnt even know it occured they noticed it and stopped the transaction and called me up to check.. now thats what I call service!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 22:31 »
Quote from: "Simon"
They may not be willing, but are they still legally required to?  Do the bank's insurers now refuse to pay out when a bank gets robbed, because everyone knows bank robbers exist?

Nice try Simon!   :laugh:   Banks changed the rules on fraud last year and no longer have to reimburse you if they believe you have been negligent.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 23:30 »
Quote from: "Simon"

Quote from: "Clive"
Nice try Simon!   :laugh:   Banks changed the rules on fraud last year and no longer have to reimburse you if they believe you have been negligent.

Right, so 'online security' means nothing now then.  The main attraction with using the online banking services was that they guaranteed it to be safe, and that you would not lose out if you were a victim of fraud.  If someone now gets hold of your bank or credit card details, and makes a fraudulent transaction, you don't have a leg to stand on, unless you can prove you were not negligent?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 23:50 »
In dividing the management of my funds between the off-licence and deserving females, the enormous figure at the foot of my bank statement invariably now has a 'minus' in front of it.  Thus any attempt to reduce that amount would have my full blessing.    :drown:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:06 »
dont remind me about minus signs! i keep saying to myself two of them makes a postive... i guess not with banks :-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 08:21 »
I think online transactions are different Simon.  All they are saying is that people should be savvy enough not to fall for phishing now that virtually everyone is aware of it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum