Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: again already - heeeeelllpppp  (Read 16598 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
again already - heeeeelllpppp
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 00:20 »
umm i wouldnt rush into it, might be worth sleeping on..

oooh this is all blue

you like a bit of the old blue do you?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 11:55 »
yes its all very nice in here :-)

I found this last night http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

so I thought well what the heck ..... I'll try it.

so at part 1 - I typed it all in and it was all going well ............ until it got to the last lot of copy and repair and it wouldn't repair them...... urgh.

soooooo

now its worse lol - I have a message that comes up that system file is missing or corrupt .... windows\system32\config\system press r to repair.

but of course ....... r doesn't work.

:roll:  :blush:  :x  :(
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 12:53 »
argh...!!! at least it tells you to press r now!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 13:22 »
okay that was it I couldn't stand it any longer :lol:

I reinstalled - so I have a lovely clean machine now - sob - its all empty. But it works lovely!

I went on this other pc website and they said its my HD knackered and my sound card and this and that ...... was a bit scarey!!  So I thought if it was those things it wouldn't reinstall so I had to see.

And there's  not really that much on there I can't just put back on, I think most of the stuff is still on this puter - good job I'm lazy and didn't clear this one off yet  :laugh:

Trying to work out now, why I have no sounds - I don't seem to have a disc for the 5.1 speaker system, and it didn't detect them.

Now I've gotta set up the network again arghhhhhh lol

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 13:34 »
You probably just need the drivers for the soundcard, Michelle.  Did you get a drivers disc with the PC?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 13:40 »
Michelle did you create an extra partition this time ?

If not while its still empty and you still have a few glitches to fix then, (yes I know its a pain but it will save you a lot of hassle in the future), then reinstall XP again and create a second partition.

When you start the installation theres an option to install to the existing partition or to delete the partition.
Select delete the partition, it will ask if you are sure and I think you have to press L to delete it.

The next screen will ask if you want to create a partition in the empty space, select the option to create, think its C and then you can set it t the size you want, with a 320 gig drive such as you had then you could have 50 or more gig as your primary partition, remember it wants it in MBs not GBs so for 50 gig you need to type 50000.

Once its created format and install XP to that partition as you did before.

Once it is running in XP properly go into Admin Tools/Disk Management and then you will see the remainder of your drive as unallocated, you need to format it before you can use it but you can do it from inside disk management  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 14:16 »
It looks like I've got to download a few drivers !   ah well not the end of the world.

No I didn't sandra, as I wasn't sure how it would work... it all sounds very confusing.

So I have to delete the partition it shows? I don't get that if you are adding a partition why don't you just add one?

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 14:19 »
okay I've written it all down lol

fingers crossed  :?  :blush:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 14:37 »
you cant just add one because you wont have any spare space, by deleting the partition you can now make as many partitions as you like - up to the max size of your hard disk.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2005, 14:40 »
Ok Michelle, if you are starting from a brand new hard drive or from one that only has a single partition like yours has then it doesnt give you an option to create an extra one.
So in your situation you need to delete the existing one first then as there are no partitions on the drive and you need at least one to install an OS to it will ask you to create one  :)

Even if I am reinstalling XP on a drive that has two partitions I always delete the OS one and recreate it that way you are sure that its got rid of everything from the old installation  :)

Another hour spent now reinstalling on a two partiioned drive will save you may hours in the future, hopefully  :)

You could always use something like partition magic to create another partition from inside windows once it was installed but doing it as another fresh install will be quicker and easier I think  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 15:04 »
Full Instructions from the MS knowledge base for you Michelle  :)

If you are starting from the Windows XP Setup disks, insert each of the additional disks when you are prompted, and then press ENTER to continue after you insert each disk.
3. At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
4. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
5. If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.
6. All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press C to create the new partition.

Note If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions, and then create the new partition.
7. Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.
8. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want them.
9. If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit the Windows Setup program, and then do not follow the remaining steps. In this case, you must use a different utility to format the partition.
10. Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. You have the following options: ? Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
? Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
? Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
? Format the partition by using the FAT file system
? Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system option is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, the Windows Setup program uses the FAT16 file system.

Note If you deleted and created a new System partition, but you are installing Windows XP on a different partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and startup partitions.
11. After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

This is the relevant part from this page :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q313348/

I am up and fully awake now and will be in all day and evening if you need to call me on messenger to clarify anything that you dont understand  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2005, 15:58 »
Well I did try, I didn't see these instructions - and sandra is talking me all through it.  Poor sandra :lol:

Dunno what I'd do with out her  :D

its all going well now :-)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2005, 16:19 »
glad to hear!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2005, 21:07 »
And the moral of this story is........................................

Keep away from those "BIG BROTHER" sites, Michelle.  :wink:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 21:22 »
Indeed!  Isn't there enough of the rubbish on TV, without having it infest your computer as well?   :roll:  :wink:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum