Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: website access problems  (Read 4467 times)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« on: July 11, 2005, 11:32 »
hi all, new to the site must say first impressions are amazing, can anyone please help me with a pc problem, there is one fishing website that i can no longer get onto atall since i installed a belkin wireless router so my boy could get on the intrnet, it worked initially but now doesn't, i can access any other site that i've tried, (my lad also registered on this site with obviously a different user name & password, could this be the problem ?) but as i said it did work initially for a day or so now i cant get on atall, any advise would be very much appreciated, please bare with me, if any other info needed please ask
 :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:
cheers kro.....

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:54 »
Hi KRO and  :welcome: to pc-pals.

I would imagine that your router has a built in firewall and it could be the firewall that's preventing access.

You might need to configure your firewall to allow access.

Hope this helps but a more skilled techie should come along shortly and might be able to provide further assistance.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
website access problems
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 11:56 »
Hi KRO, and  :welcome:

If you could give us the address of the fishing website, so we can try it, that would be a start.  Often, when one isolated site is unavailable, it's simply because the site itself is down for maintenence, or other reasons, or it could just have closed.  Have you tried accessing it from another PC?

There is also the possibility that your router firewall may be blocking that particular site.  Usually you can configure the firewall to allow specific sites, but someone with more experience of routers will have to guide you through that, if you are unsure of the procedure.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
website access problems
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:56 »
Hi KRO and :welcome:

As well as the advice given, sometimes it can simply be a matter of clearing out the cache and cookies.  Did your lad manage to get on the site after you installed the router?  If so, I would try clearing the above before messing about with anything else.

Also, what browser are you using?  A family member of mine uses a share dealing site that simply cannot be accessed using Internet Explorer, but loads immediately in Firefox.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 14:14 »
Can you clarify that both yours and your sons pcs can access every other site that you want to get on and its just this one particular site thats unavailable to you both now.
Are you both using XP or is one pc on a different OS and which firewalls are both pcs using ?

If the sites become unavailable to both pcs and you havent altered anything on either pc it may be that the sites temporarily down.
Have you tried accessing it from another pc or as Simon suggested if you can post the link to it we can check its working correctly.

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 17:16 »
thanks for the welcome and the replies guy's, as i said please bare with me, browser is internet explorer (i think) the website in question is www.rmcangling.co.uk this has been my most visited site in the approx 3yrs that i've had a pc (surfing is really all i'm capable of, but would love to learn to do a lot more) both pc's are running windows XP and yes we were both able to access the website after installing the router (this in itself caused a lot of problems, i had to use there telephone helpline a few times to get sorted, belkin that is) because when he independently registered we managed to pm one another, but actually thinking about it after the router was attached i tried to set up my printer to share with his pc which was again unsuccessfull, i wonder if this may have caused some sort of problem.
 :blush:  :blush:
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 17:43 »
The site opens fine for me in IE so its not looking like a site problem.
You didnt say if thats the only site you cant access or which firewall/s you are both using.

I doubt its the router thats causing problems, assuming that other sites are ok, its more likely to be a firewall or internet settings thats at fault.

Some sites need to be allowed to get a referrer from your pc which firewalls can block, sometimes it may require a cookie to be downloaded to your pc as well.

Could you both access and log on to that particular site ok when you connected and set up the router, until you tried to get the printer sharing to work ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 18:32 »
KRO said in his first post that he can access other websites, San.  I too have just accessed the fishing site with Mozilla and Firefox.  It's a bit fishy  :laugh:  that he could access the site initially, with the router, isn't it?  :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 18:46 »
Cant think why the router would restrict just one site Simon.

It may be that as they would both have the same external IP that it wouldnt allow them to log on at the same time but one should be able to log on and the other visit as a guest I would have thought.
At worst one could be on when the other wasnt but it appears that neither can open it independantly of the other even :?

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 19:41 »
thankyou people for your time, forgive me but how do i know / find out what firewalls we're using, we are both able to access any other sites we've tried with no probs atall.
sandra i love the music in your signature box thing at the bottom of your posts  :laugh:
cheers kro.....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 19:49 »
Hi KRO, just thought I'd mention that PC Pals might be offline for a few hours later this evening, while our webhosts move our server, so if you come here, and we've disappeared, don't worry, we will be back!   :)

I've never used a router myself, but most of them have built in firewalls, which you should be able to configure.  I'm not sure where this would be - perhaps in your Control Panel > Network Connections?  Sandra would know best, but I think we also need to establish, were you using a firewall before you installed the router?  Norton, perhaps, or Zone Alarm?  Or were you using the Windows Firewall which came with the latest Service Pack (the huge Windows Update everyone was forced to download)?  It's possible that if you are using two firewalls, they may be conflicting.  Now you have the router, I believe that you shouldn't need any third party firewalls.  If you have one running, it should show as one of the icons in your System Tray (by the clock), in the right hand corner of your screen.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 19:53 »
Ok, I assume that you are both using XP with SP2 which enables its own firewall by default.
If you have another installed it should show as an icon in the lower right corner of your taskbar near the clock and probably a loudspeaker icon.

If you hover your mouse over the icons in that area it should have a small popup saying xxxfirewall enabled.
If it does then initially right click on that icon and select disable, it will probably warn you that you are about to disable it.
Disable it anyway and then see if you can access the problem site.
If you can then access it re enable the firewall by again right clicking it and then select enable.

You will probably find that you cant access the site again so if you let us know what happened, if anything and which firewall it is then we should be able to tell you how to add that site to it so that you can access it again.

If you dont know the music in my sig its called Crazy by Patsy Kline and the vocal version of it sounds even better  :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 22:17 »
i'm pretty sure that it's the windows fire wall that i'm using, i have no icon for a firewall showing in the bottom right hand corner, just a thought will this firewall buisiness only apply to my computer or also to my lads that is connected to mine via the router ie: if he has more than one firewall running it could be the problem ?
cheers keith.

ps sandra oh yes i know the tune well, it's just that i've never seen anything like that on any website before, pukka :laugh:
cheers kro.....

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
website access problems
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 22:23 »
You can turn the Windows firewall off by clicking on Start/Control Panel/Security Center/Firewall  :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 22:35 »
I think the Windows Firewall is independant of the router, so you'll need to turn it off on both machines, but please make sure the router firewall is enabled, so you have protection.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum