Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: website access problems  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
website access problems
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 23:05 »
Well, at least that has been useful in proving it's not IE which is causing the problem, which kind of narrows it down to the router.  Hopefully Sandra will be able to tell you how to configure the router firewall to allow specific websites.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 01:12 »
I cant understand why the routers firewall should block that site but as a last resort it looks like we are going to have to "Tunnel" through it  :?

Can you tell me the make and model of the router so that I can see how to set it up.
We also need the IP address of the site.

Edited to add, I have got the IP its 212.69.211.13

Just out of interest can you click on this and see if you can connect Keith :

http://212.69.211.13/

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2005, 07:38 »
hi sandra, i tried clicking on that link a few times but could not get in, the thing i find strange about all this, is that it did originally work when the router was first installed (only for a short period though) the router is a belkin ADSL modem with wireless G router, model FSD 7632-4
thanks keith
 :?
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 16:19 »
Hi Keith your router appears to be the Belkin F5D7632uk4A 54Mbps ADSL Wireless Router (5 not S in the F5D part)

I assume that you know how to access the router through its IP address in the web browser and how to log in.

Once you are logged in you will see a Firewall section on the left side menu.
In that section it should have an option to enable or disable the firewall.

Assuming that you have the user manual in PDF form its shown on sect 1:43 on the one I downloaded but it doesnt explain exactly how to get into that setting so you may have to click on a few links from the firewall section.

To confirm that it is the routers firewall that is blocking your site disable the firewall, dont forget to click Apply Changes, it may ask you to reboot the router, some routers do some dont.
When the firewall is disabled try and connect again to the fishing site.
If you can then re eanble the firewall again.

Your router has an URL blocking feature but I cant see why it should have got thats sites address, listed, if it actually has.
Have a look in the Firewall> Client IP filtering section, page Sect1:46 in the manual and check that the WWW with URL Blocking box isnt ticked.

Unless you have blocked some intentionally if it is ticked then untick it and click Ok and then Apply Changes.
If you have intentionally blocked some URLs then leave it ticked and edit that part to remove the fishing sites url from it.

I hope this helps, unfortunately the manual is quite good if the router was on my pc but not as good as it should be for me to be able to explain each step fully to you :(

Let me know how you get on with it :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 16:57 »
(I assume that you know how to access the router through its IP address in the web browser and how to log in)
ah sandra there could a slight problem here, i dont have a clue regarding the above !!! ........ sorry

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 17:20 »
How did you set it up initially Keith  :?

Ok either pc can do it as long as its connected by the ethernet lead to the router, so sit at your preferred one and open Internet Explorer.

Clear the address and enter   192.168.2.1 and then click on GO

This should bring a Log In screen up, according to the manual the router is shipped with no password so unless someone set the router up for you and set a password just leave it blank and click on Submit.

That should bring the Status page up with a Quick Navigation menu on the left hand side, got to the Firewall section and do as I said on my previous post.

Any problems with the procedure so far then get back to me  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 18:10 »
Just had a thought Keith   :idea:

Have you emailed that websites admin to ask if they have blocked your IP for some reason  :?:

As youre both on a router then you will both have the same WAN IP so neither of you would be able to access the site if it was blocked  :)

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2005, 22:20 »
sandra the way i initially set it up was to ring the helpline number on the box, it took a few calls to sort it but eventually got there, they take you through it step by step.
i've tried all the things you've suggested to no avail i'm afraid  :?
ps i did email the fishing site webmaster and asked if there was a problem so i'm sure he would have said if i'd been blocked, but i've mailed him again just to be sure.
cheers kro.....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
website access problems
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005, 00:58 »
I dont suppose that they will have intentionally blocked your IP as its a dynamic one, meaning that its a different one each time you switch the router off and back on.

However I remember that we had a problem some time back on Pals when certain IP ranges starting with 81 which Simon and me and quite a few others had wouldnt open Pals.

Can anyone remember what the problem was and how it was resolved as this could be a similar thing  :?:

I think it was after one of the server moves with the old hosts but I cant remember why or what was the solution  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005, 07:48 »
No, me neither.  I think it was just a question of the DNS taking time to propergate after the server move, Sandra.  We just had to wait.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
website access problems
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2005, 07:51 »
Do you have a dial-up modem you could try to access the site with KRO?

Offline KRO

website access problems
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2005, 10:36 »
well well well, i dont know if it's just a coincidence but after re emailing the RMC webmaster and asking if i'd been blocked i can now access the site, thank you all very much for all your help, very much appreciated.  :D  :D

now can anyone tell me how i can set up a printer share on my wireless network ?
cheers keith.
cheers kro.....

Offline sam

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2005, 11:34 »
you should be able to share the printer like you would on a normal network.

In XP go to the Printers and Faxes part of the control panel, then right click on the printer and click on "Sharing..." this should allow you to share it over a newtork, though you will probably have to do a network installation of the printer on the other machine.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
website access problems
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2005, 18:19 »
Can I interject here, and suggest that if this is moving towards a different topic, i.e. File and Printer Sharing, a new thread is started?  The information will then be easier to find later on.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum