Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Leave of absence  (Read 14738 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2005, 01:37 »
Not at all, have you got the link ?

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2005, 01:37 »
:banana: :banana:  

Guess where I'm going on monday :-)
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2005, 01:40 »
I bet they haven't got any now :LOL:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruComputers/TruComputersDesktop/779415

wonder if they do interest free credit ..........

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2005, 01:46 »
Well I think you will be more than happy with that Michelle.
I cant see anything that I would want to upgrade, it even has SPDIF in and out for audio, with the freeview tv tuner card in as well you can have 5.1 surround sound on your pc while watching digital tv, and even send it to your main TV if you wanted  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2005, 01:51 »
I didn't even notice that Sandra!  Sounds too good to be true doesn't it!  :shock:  :?

Wow, thanks for all your help tonight - I'm glad I got you on here!

I can even afford to get my new exhaust and Mot for my car with the money left from the money from the Mess PC !

If the money arrives that is ....  :shock:  :evil:  

I'd better ring them tomorrow and see if the offer is still on if you pick it up from the shop. I'd prefer to do that, besides it saves £15.00 and waiting in for it.

woah, I'd better go to bed..... Night Sandra  :wink:  cheers  :laugh:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2005, 01:54 »
To get full benefit of the audio you will have to get some decent 5.1 speakers but I honestly cant think of anything else you need for it at all  :)

You may need an aerial for the TV card but can probably take a feed off your existing one  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2005, 02:16 »
This is ebuyers price for the Intel Pentium D 820 2.8ghz :

Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz Skt775 Fsb800 2 x 1Mb Cache Retail
  £181.02
£212.70 inc VAT

I dont know how they can build that spec of pc for that price, and Medion dont appear to use cheap crappy parts.

Proper Intel CPU, ATI gfx and the TV cards are usually Tevion which seem quite good one. Lonas had a Pioneer DVD writer in so its not as if they do a Time and Tiny thing and use the cheapest parts they can get  :)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2005, 11:17 »
This one might be worth considering too...

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=305&l=en&oc=D08916&s=dhs&sbc=dimen_9100#bottom_anchor

Change the suport service to 1 year colect and return to bring it down to £871 inc vat and delivery.

Intel® Pentium 4 processor with HT technology 630 (3.00GHz, 800FSB, 2MB cache)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2 - English

1 Year European Collect and Return Service

Save £70 inc VAT  Special Offer

FREE Dell Colour Ink Printer 720 (including trial ink cartridges, excluding printer cable)  Special Offer

1024mb PC-3200 Dual Channel DDR2 400MHZ (2x512)

320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst? cache]

16x max. DVD+/-RW & 16x DVD

Media Card Reader

Dell E193FP 19" Value Flat Panel Monitor

ATI Radeon® X600 SE 256MB HyperMemory

Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Speaker System

Dell Entry USB Keyboard

Dell USB 2Button Wheel Mouse

Microsoft® Works 7.0 - English

Photo Album? SE Basic

Paint Shop? Pro® Basic Edition

Dell v92 Data/Fax modem

Very similar spec to the Medion  :nerd:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2005, 11:27 »
Doesn't that medion come with speakers? I didn't look.

That is a good one too cam, probably better you think?

I was looking at dell, but I'm nervous about their customer support, I've been reading bad things since they moved it to india.  

But I guess you can read bad things about anyone if you look hard enough.

Apart from me obviously  :laugh:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2005, 11:34 »
Quote from: "Michelle"
Doesn't that medion come with speakers? I didn't look.

That is a good one too cam, probably better you think?

I was looking at dell, but I'm nervous about their customer support, I've been reading bad things since they moved it to india.  

But I guess you can read bad things about anyone if you look hard enough.

Apart from me obviously  :laugh:

Oi and me  :P  :D

They look almost identical and i'd say the little price difference is on the proccesor which is dearer in the Medion even though it's 2.8 as aposed to 3.0

It just gives you two options rather than one which just adds to the confusion  :twisted:  :devil:  :wink:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2005, 11:42 »
Quote from: "Camstop"

Oi and me  :P  :D

They look almost identical and i'd say the little price difference is on the proccesor which is dearer in the Medion even though it's 2.8 as aposed to 3.0

Oh and you of course :-)

Thats cos its a Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor - Its like Turbo, I know from a good source ! :LOL:

It doesn't take much to confuse me cammy, thanks for looking though!  :wink: I'm gonna go with the medion unless I can't get one.

Just spoke to toys r us, they have one left in the store with free printer still.

Have to see if its still there monday if my dosh is in then.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2005, 11:46 »
I guess they wont keep it for you ehh ?  :roll:

Btw i'm sure i read that they had sorted out the noise problem that Lona was on about before they produced this pc  :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Leave of absence
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2005, 12:02 »
they did say they would keep it for me, but seeing as I've not seen the money yet I thought I'd better not, but they said they wouldn't put a ticket out on the machine, bit odd though, they didn't even take my name!

I hope they've sorted out the noise, I hated the noisey fan in the messsss computer....  not sure its that much newer than lona's though it was in there when I looked a while back.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2005, 12:08 »
OMG have a look on ebay at what you can get if you know what components you want :shock:

There's a London company with loads on there but not sure if you could see them running or not  :)

This is their terms on the assumption they stay in business  :wink:

All brand new equipment comes with 3 years RTB Warranty. year 1 parts and labour and year 2nd and 3rd labour only.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Leave of absence
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2005, 12:23 »
One advantage of the dual core cpu is that it should run cooler when its not being worked too hard so the fan will run slower, I think theyre variable speed dependant on how hot the cpu is.

A bit like the turbo analogy of a car again, when you dont need the power it just trickles along not using much of the available power, then when you put it under load or put your foot down in the car the turbo kicks in to boost the power  :)

The medion has speakers built into the monitor so they would only be stereo and probably not very good.

The 630 CPU is a cheaper one than the 650, its still a 64 bit but its a single core cpu, again ebuyer.com price :

Intel Pentium 4 630 3 Ghz Socket 775 800Mhz 2mb Retail Boxed
  £155.24
£182.41 inc VAT

Slightly faster but not a dual core.
I read a comparison review on dual core v single core but with faster cpu speeds last week.
For a dedicated gamer the single core had a slight advantage over the slower rated dual core, I guess its a bit like turbo lag to use the car analogy again.
For general use, especially if multi tasking then the dual core was the one to go for.

The Dell is good value as well but hasnt got a few things that the medion  has such as the digital tv tuner card, dont know if thats something youd use or want but it would swing it for me along with the dual core cpu as I am not a gamer but do lots of multitasking  :)

I suppose its handy for a standby one in case your cash doesnt come in time for the medion Michelle and you dont fanct waiting for another medion special offer from either toys r us or aldi or lydl  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum