Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Brits love Doctor Who - official  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Brits love Doctor Who - official
« on: August 01, 2005, 16:50 »
The Register
By John Leyden
Published Monday 1st August 2005 11:01 GMT

Doctor Who has topped a poll to find the best British fantasy show. The recently-revived science fiction drama beat comedy classic Red Dwarf into second place in a survey of 4,000 readers of SFX magazine.

SFX magazine editor Dave Bradley told BBC online that Doctor Who was "a great British institution which has entertained people for generations... The recent series has just introduced a whole new generation to the concept and reignited our love for it."

Other series to make it onto SFX's top 10 include cult classic The Prisoner (5), and old favourites such as Blake's 7, Quatermass (7), surely due for a revival in these anxious times1, and The Avengers (9). Most of the places in the list are occupied by genre classics but Channel 4's hip vampire drama Ultraviolet lends the run-down a more contemporary edge. ®

Doctor Who
Red Dwarf
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Blake's 7
The Prisoner
Sapphire and Steel
Quatermass
Ultraviolet
The Avengers
Robin of Sherwood

Earlier we said that Quatermass was due for a revival in these anxious times. In fact, a restaged version of the show has already been shown on BBC4, the digital channel. To keep it true to the original BBC4's Quatermass Experiment was filmed and broadcast live in July. Jason Flemyng took the lead, with a supporting cast including, David Tennant, the tenth Doctor Who, and League of Gentlemen member and sometime Doctor Who scriptwriter, Mark Gatiss.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/01/sf_fantasy_poll/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 18:02 »
I have to admit, I didn't really like the latest Dr Who at first, but it did grow on me, and there were some very good episodes as the series progressed.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 18:08 »
How did Blakes Seven and Sapphire and Steel make the list?  What a load of old tosh those were.  And where's American Gothic?

I liked Ultraviolet though.  What a pity only one series was made.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 18:22 »
dr who is good but id still have to have Red Dwarf above it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 22:07 »
All I can say is some folk are easy pleased.  The prisoner was a better series by far. :shock:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Serenity

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 22:34 »
Quote from: "Serenity"
Quote from: "sam"

I am a Red Dwarf fanatic too Sam  :thumb:   absolutely loved every series, shame that Craig guy went and got himself into mischief and they pulled the plug  :roll:     whilst Im at it have a look at the Lee Evans Live at Wembley and Live at Scotland DVDs if you can they are soooooo hilarious  :laugh:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 22:35 »
Quote from: "sam"

I am a Red Dwarf fanatic too Sam  :thumb:   absolutely loved every series, shame that Craig guy went and got himself into mischief and they pulled the plug  :roll:     whilst Im at it have a look at the Lee Evans Live at Wembley and Live at Scotland DVDs if you can they are soooooo hilarious  :laugh:

We heard you the first time,Serenity.  :D  :wink:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 00:12 »
i must have watched every episode of red dwarf at least, actually i havent got a clue..too many times. When an episode is on i can normally tell you the next sentance which is bad - well once im into the episode.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 00:18 »
I haven't really taken to the new Doctor Who series, but it's probably more to do with my taste in entertainment having changed rather than there being anything wrong with the programme.

I have to agree with Lona about The Prisoner series though - an all time classic.   :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum