Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Port 139.On Firewall.  (Read 909 times)

Offline zephra

Port 139.On Firewall.
« on: August 03, 2005, 23:29 »
I just recently moved and I lost my Router and my ip changed.My IP is not stealthed and it says my town and cable provider which I do not like.
 I have Norton 2004 Antivirus/Firewall,Spyware blaster,WindowsXP.My system is clean as it ever has been.
 My Firewall Blocks Windows file sharing rule Port 139.People have been attempting to get in 4 times a hour at Port 139.Different people all the time.I know I can disable the block prompts.What has changed that they keep on trying to get in??Loss of Router?
     Thanks

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Port 139.On Firewall.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 23:59 »
I too used to get loads of messages about Port 139 when I have alerts enabled, so I have done a lot of reading up on it.

Have you got "File & Printer Sharing" enabled, as it uses Port 139.  As so many people have it enabled, Port 139 is notorious as the most dangerous Port on the internet.  Because so many people have it opened it is one of the first ports that hackers try to connect to.  Fortunately, because it is so exposed, it is one of the Ports that all firewalls block, so as long as your firewall is advising you that a connection attempt has been blocked, I wouldn't worry about it.  However, I would disable "File and Printer Sharing".

Offline zephra

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 00:35 »
Yes I have it blocked in norton.I have file and printer sharing disabled in windows.I wonder if the router stopped them from even trying to get into port 139.
  thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port 139.On Firewall.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 00:44 »
A router has to be attacked first and got through before anyone can start probing the pcs on the LAN behind it.
That will be why you are getting the warnings now as you havent got the router protecting you.
Your pc is reliant on your firewall to stop anything that your router used to do previously.
As long as you are getting the warnings then it looks like your firewall is protecting you ok  :)

Offline zephra

thank you
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 01:05 »
thank you.
Im obbessed with my pc and you guys are only helping!!!!
     Thank you all.You always get back so fast and have great input.
                     z

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port 139.On Firewall.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:33 »
Pleased we can help you with your obsession, we dont seem to be able or willing to help Clive with his  :wink:

The speed depends on when someone is around to see the question more than anything else though  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum