Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Failure Code 0016  (Read 913 times)

Offline Molenir

Failure Code 0016
« on: September 26, 2005, 14:33 »
Hi,

Been having some problems starting my computer.  When starting, the system hangs.  It will load in safe mode, I can use a boot disk and load up dos.  I tried using system restore to no avail, this still is happening.

Tried starting windows without the ini or the startup programs....  No help.
When I look at the bootlog, it shows everything is fine until it comes to the display, and then tries to load the fonts.  Then I get a lot of font load errors.

From safe mode I've tried scandisk.  I've run my antiviral stuff, nothing.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Nate

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Failure Code 0016
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 15:06 »
Hi Nate and :welcome:

It sounds like a gfx driver problem.

When youre in safe mode go to the start/run box, type in CMD and ok to bring the dos window up then type CHKDSK /F or try booting from a 98 boot disk and at the A prompty change to C then run the CHKDSK /F command from there.

Offline Molenir

Failure Code 0016
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 20:15 »
Thanks for the response, I'm actually using Win ME though not 98, I probably should have stated that in my original post.  I doubt it that will make a difference in this case.

I tried running chkdsk, I'm not sure what its supposed to be accomplishing.  It basically just told me how much memory I have allocated and remaining.  It also mentioned I could use scandisk to fix errors.  I did that yesterday, another thing I failed to mention.  

So how do I address a gfx driver problem?

Nate

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Failure Code 0016
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 00:36 »
Actually I assumed you had XP  :blush:

A 98 boot disk will boot a pc into dos regardless of your operating system.

If you have a look in device manager you should have something that says
Display Adapters and if you expand that it should have the make and model of your graphics card. Double click on it and select the reinstall driver part and if you have the cd that came with the gfx card or if its an onboard one the motherboard drivers cd, and reinstall the drivers from the cd.

Offline Molenir

Failure Code 0016
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 14:38 »
Ok, a couple problems with this.

Without wanting to sound like a complete idiot, since I use ME on this computer, and XP on the only other one I have access to, (the one I'm using presently)  How do I get a 98 boot disk?

Regarding reinstallation of the drivers.  Ok, I know I'm an idiot here, but I haven't a clue where to find such things.  I know I don't have any of the disks I should have for this video card.  The computer didn't come with such things.  I suppose I could try looking up the video card manufacturer and dl a driver onto a floppy disk, then use it from safe mode to reinstall the driver.  

Finally, even if I did have a cd for this, in safe mode, the only one I can access apart from dos, for whatever reason, I can't access my cd drive.  This makes reinstallation problematic.  I could load dos with cd drivers included, but most cds these days want you running windows in order to run their programs.  

Thanks for the continued help here

Nate

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Failure Code 0016
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 23:28 »
Ok you can download various boot disks for free from :

www.bootdisk.com

So use the pc you have access to to get the download and make one.

If you can get into safe mode, right click on My Computer and select properties.
In the window that opens go to Hardware and the Device manager.
That should show you the gfx card make and model, I think it still shows in safe mode even though the drivers havent been loaded at that point.

Thats why the screen is a lousy colour and resolution, as it only loads the minimum drivers necessary to get into safe mode and why I assume that its not going fully into windows due to a fault on the gfx driver stopping it.
If you uninstall whichever gfx driver it shows in the device manager by right clicking on it and selecting unistall or remove then the chances are it will ask you for the correct driver cd when you try and reboot into normal windows.

So if you can find the make and model of the gfx card, it may be onboard but should still say, unless its unidentifiable by the bios, you can search for the drivers or post the model and make here if you cant find them and maybe someone here can find them for you  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum