Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: View posts since last visit.  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
View posts since last visit.
« on: September 24, 2005, 15:50 »
When I logon I usually go to View posts since last visit.

I have noticed recently there are posts showing but when I click on them it says there are none.

I just logged on this minute and it said 16 new posts since last visit and when I click on it, it changes to none.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 16:57 »
I can't say that I've ever noticed any problems with it Lona.  I wonder if anyone else has?   :cry:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 17:49 »
i noticed that once before and put it down to my browsers cache. it could be something like that. eitherway I wouldn't worry too much about it. you arent gonna be missing out on anything. its odd though. how often has the occured?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 18:27 »
My cache empties automatically every time I close the browser.  However, what I have found is that if I have read all the posts since my last visit and then closed the browser (for any length of time) and there haven't actually been any posts since my last visit, the next time I log in it will always report one post since my last visit, even though when I click on the link there aren't any to be read.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 20:53 »
Lona, are you using Firefox?  The thing you are describing used to happen to me, because Firefox, for some reason, opened two simultaneous windows, and therefore the forum software thinks you have read all the posts (don't ask me to explain why - it just does!).  This is one of the reasons I switched back to Mozilla.  You can still read the new posts by going to the Index page, and View posts from previous (1) day.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:02 »
yes I am using firefox but it doesn't open 2 windows.

I clicked on view posts from previous day and this thread wasn't there.

Weird, and it also said there were no new posts either when I clicked on new posts since previous visit.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 09:54 »
That's exactly what was happening to me when I used Firefox, Lona.  Maybe it's something to do with the way it handles the cookie?  It hasn't happened once since I switched back to Mozilla, so I think it's definitely a browser issue of some sort.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 13:29 »
Could be Simon.  I have just logged in this minute and it said 3 new posts since last visit but when I clicked it said there were none.

Next time I logon on I'll use ie6  just to confirm that it is a firefox issue before I go to all the bother of installing mozilla.

Thanks Simon.  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 16:28 »
This used to happen to me when I launched Firefox from a desktop shortcut direct to PC Pals, but I can't remember it ever happening if I went to Pals with FF already open.  It just might be worth clearing your cache and cookies in FF, and then make sure it allows (and stores) the Pals cookie, before you go to the trouble of switching to Mozilla.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 18:03 »
Dunno Simon, I'm on ie6 and it said there were no new posts, so either there were none and nobody is posting on pals but I can also say ie6 takes ages to load pages.

I've already cleared my cache on firefox but it's still the same.

I'll keep checking and see how things go. :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 00:18 »
reset your cookies aswell lona.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 07:24 »
I used to get the same thing now and then, but I must say its not happened for a couple of weeks. But I don't know what I've changed, if anything.  :?
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum