Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless network problems  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Aaron

Wireless network problems
« on: October 30, 2005, 15:18 »
Hi,
I am having trouble with my wireless network.  Although it reports having full signal and being connected at 54Mbps I am disconnected randomly and then immediately reconnected.  This occurs maybe once every 3min.  I can't think of an obvious source of interference that would be randomly intermittent but for the signal to be lost completely it would have to be pretty substantial.
I am using a linksys wrt54g router and a cnet PCI wireless card.  I am the only computer with wireless connection to the router.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Aaron

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 16:38 »
do u have a secure connection? i.e. do you have to type in a password?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 18:32 »
No the network isn't secure.  I've just limited the number of IP addresses available and since nobody turns their computer off that in effect makes the network secure.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 19:49 »
ok i was just wondering if it was an issue with security
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 01:09 »
Quote from: "Aaron"
 I've just limited the number of IP addresses available and since nobody turns their computer off that in effect makes the network secure.

I am not 100% certain if thats correct. It will possibly stop file sharing on your LAN but may still allow access to your WAN  :?

Are you specifying the IP addresses that your router has allocated to your pc and the ones connected by ethernet or are you allowing a set number of connections in the wi fi part of the router ?

As you say that youre the only one using wi fi then I would at least enable 64 bit WEP.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 23:08 »
I have limited the number that can be allocated.  Could any of this affect my connection as I've described?  
I really am perplexed!
Aaron

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 00:01 »
Unless its the actual LAN IP adresses that you have specified can only be used then I dont see how you can restrict it on the Wi Fi side of the router as its an open 2 way broadcast.

This may indeed be your problem as it may be that another Wi Fi access point is within range and its dropping your connection to allow that device to connect then dropping that one to allow yours to connect and so on and so on.

A simple solution would be to enable the WEP and see if that cures the problem  :)

Offline Aaron

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 10:01 »
I have just turned on WEP but unfortunately I still have the problem.  I did notice somewhere when I was playing with the router a column listing the ip addresses in use and a time to refresh.  Could this be causing the problem? How do you change it if it is?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 12:40 »
Would that be the part that says "Lease obtained xxxx" etc ?

If so I think its set by the ISP but am not certain.

With routers I have always found them to work quite well if left at their default settings and then enabling eithjer WEP or WPA if Wi Fi.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 18:29 »
Hi Sandra,
To avoid any problems with limiting ips I have reset the router to its default settings and have WEP enabled.  Thats it.  But I'm still getting disconnected randomly.  I have a program that came with the PCI card in my computer and that reports 98% link quality, 100% link strength and 33% noise level.  classifying each as excellent, excellent and low respectively.  Do you have any ideas at all?  I can't find a single event that links every disconnection.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 19:04 »
I assume that the wired ones arent having any problems, its just your Wi Fi one ?

I cant think of any reason why your pc would disconnect itself and reconnect.

Have you got another Wi Fi enabled pc such as a friends laptop that you could try it on as it may be your pcs Wi Fi that has a fault or your routers Wi Fi.
If the fault is present on another device then it would suggest that the Wi Fi part of the router is faulty.
Whereas if it stays connected then its probably a faulty Wi Fi part on your pc  :?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum