Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows2000NT PRO Repair  (Read 2410 times)

Offline zephra

Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« on: November 04, 2005, 16:01 »
I have a windows2000nt pro that is has a corrupt cabinet file?
Autocad was freezing up the other day so it was removed using add remove.Today we tried to install and goes 1/2 way through the install and a 1335 error happens cabinet files corrupt or network or cd rom error.
The disk is fine(installed in my computer)
The cd roms are fine other disks work in them
Ran ccleaner
unpluggged network
No luck
I was thinking I should do a windows repair??I have the Windows install disk.Would this help??
If so How should i do it?
I know i dont want a clean install
   Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 17:00 »
I am not sure if its available on 2K but for XP you can go to Start/Run and type in scannow and it will scan your registery and repair any missing or corrup files from the XP cd without affecting any of your instaled programs or other dat.

Offline zephra

Data1.cab missing
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 23:51 »
I have reinstalled win2000nt pro.
Upon boot I got a blue screen with a kernel memory/physical memory dump to the hard drive.It counted out to 100 then the operating system started right away.Everything loaded ok nothing seemed missing.
Tried loading autocad and got a error 1335 data1.cab error same as before the OP Reinstall.Removed some other add on autocad progams and I got it to install.
I  downloaded Microsoft Antispyware during install I got the same
Data 1.cab file is missing or corrupt.Had to abort.
Are cab files registry files.I tried to google it but found a whole bunch of ideas but no fixes.I really would like to get a Cab file freeware program.
                         Thanks again for all your help

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 00:06 »
The CAB files are usually part of the original OS CD.
In 98SE they were located inside the Win 98 folder and I used to copy the folder onto the hard drive so that if a program or any hardware asked for the 98 cd I could just tell it that the files were in the Win 98 folder and it would find what was needed from teh CAB files without me having to load the 98 cd.

I am not sure if 2K uses a similar system, XP doesnt appear to  :(

Explore the 2K cd and see if it lists the CAB files, theyre usually zipped into no 1, no 2, no 3 etc.

Offline zephra

Still a problem
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 23:00 »
Computer seemed pretty stable on monday Trend micro foung 6 Viruses/Trojan_Bagel in Win32.Restarted ok for a day then during use would give us a blue screen.Some error and then Physical memory dumping to Harddrive.This counts to a 100 and then windows starts up ok again.
This has happened 1 times a day all week otherwise the computer seems fine.
Yesterday after the blue screen I got Corporate IT involved.They could not get into Regedit at all.They did there magic fixed it had me copy the i386 from the windows cd to the i386 folder on the harddrive.
And the Blue screen happened again that same day.
Now they want to do a windows repair.
Today I turned on the Computer and 10 trojans found Trojan_Bagel.BG
I searched it and found that this changes registry keys.
I tried a sfc /scannow as sandra suggested and it scanned the cd and no messages were displayed after the scan was done?
Does it sound like the repair is the only way out?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 23:05 »
Its always easier to fix problems when you have access to the pc.
So if your IT department have looked at it and think it needs a windows repair then it probaly is the only way  :(

Offline zephra

Thanks Sandra
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:18 »
Thank you Sandra for all your help.I wish I could provide as much help as you and the others do.
     This computer is still in my domain.With Corporate being busy(2 IT people for 1,200 plus people) I like to figure it out(with help!!!).I am a mechanic by trade and this computer stuff I love.Thanks again
                                      -Z-

Offline zephra

Hopefully almost there
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 01:28 »
working good for 3 days no blue screen of death.I Had did a sfc/scannow like sandra suggest.
Now yesterday it did a blue screen of death.
We will do a windows repair tommorow hopefully that solves it.

Offline zephra

Problem not fixed Trojan Bagel Bg Trojan Toso...Move this
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 23:37 »
Hi,
  Im thinking this should be moved to the antivirus forum.

...........I got the computer back from corporate IT.They found alot of reg keys missing which the fixed.This computer origanaly had a trojan bagel bg.Dtected and removed.Prior to sending it out we did a windows repair with the same blue screen of death on boot.
                   On receiving it back I had the same message. The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32..........
So if a repair did not work.scan disk did not work.Check disk did not work.Registry keys were restored(Im not sure which ones) and i have the same message.I also cloned the hard drive and installed a new one removing the old one and still have the same issue.
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32...dumping phy mem to hard drive.
I have ran every spyware cleaner trojan scanner cleaner out there ms spyware, edwon,Trojan hunter, spybot S&D,adaware se.Hijack this...ran help to go detective no nastys found and everything looks good according to the scanners though I m not sure.
Is the Windows CLEAN install my only way out.I know very little about the registry.Corporate had a wack at it.I have spent too much time on this.The thing is the computer works fine expect for that error on occan. on re boot.
               Please Help

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 23:47 »
The sfc/scannow should repair or replace any missing or damaged files including those in the registery.

If you cloned the drive when it thad errors then you also cloned the errors.

The time to clone a drive is when you have done an initial install of your OS and installed the minimum programs on it, preferably before its connected to the net.
That way you know its completely free of any spyware/viruses or other nasties.

Offline zephra

Computer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 00:02 »
Orginally had a trojan bagel_Bg.Trend micro detected and removed
Scan now did not say it found anything and i still had the same errors."The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32"
Through net meeting corp fixed a lot of reg keys.Still the same
Then Corp requested the computer to look at it.Fixed reg keys ran Spyware doctor and fixed those keys found then they sent back to me.
The same error
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32
On second reboot Mircosoft antispyware detected a attempt to lower intranet security sensors and I blocked that??? I then ran Spyware doctor and it found a Trojan Tooso
 Corporate It through net meeting deleted the trojan tooso keys.
I then again ran every scanner out there and it looks good.
I then cloned the hard drive and the same error on boot.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 20:43 »
You may have already come across this, but some info here.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline zephra

The saga go on
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 23:24 »
Thanks for the link simon

Today we used Aloha Bob to image everything on that "new" drive that was a clone of the old drive that we thought was bad.That went good everything was placed on the server.
 Next I Loaded A known good Windows 2000 pro(It is volume licensed)I just used in on another computer and no problems on Install.Cd in Excellent shape.
         I deleted the only partition and created a new one.NTFS.
Partition was Sucessful.Windows began installing and then Cannot copy the file
d3drm.dll correctly.
Windows CD was on the master Cd Rom.I removed the master cd rom and made the slave cd rom the master.The computer could not see the cd in there.Bios had it shown?I tried this on cable select to no avail.Then I installed the orginal cd rom drive made it cable select now and another error the other errors are as follows.
srgb.icm
d3dim700.dll
daxctle.ocx
I tried Installing 7-8 times with these changed to the cd roms and the problems.
I am having corp it send another windows cd to prove that out.I have never had such issues on a install??
I have heard it could be memory power supply weak voltage to mother board bad motherboard.I will try mem test as Sandra suggested in my last computer problem.To prove out the mem.

Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 23:59 »
It does sound like its possibly memory related, missing or not finding files on install can be caused by that.

Also check the clock speed of the cpu, if thats somehow overclocked it can cause installation problems too.

Offline DualBoy

• http://www.pingme.ca
Windows2000NT PRO Repair
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 09:22 »
Has anyone done any basic hardware diagnostics? Memtest/spinrite? I skimmed the posts so not really sure. Sleepy.... going to bed soon :S

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum