Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Recording LPs to CD  (Read 2926 times)

Offline mikeandnel

Recording LPs to CD
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:43 »
I have recently connected a turntable to my computer for recording my LPs onto CD, but am experiencing a small problem which is beyond me.
Can anyone advise me on the following:
1. Should the MM Amp switch on the turntable be in the On or Off position when the turntable is connected to the Line-in socket on the sound card?
2. I am trying to record with LP RECORDER (and have also tried with AUDIO CLEANING LAB) Bbut although I can hear the LP clearly playing via the desktop speakers, the programme volume control is telling me that the sound level is not high enough to record.
I have increased the volume controls to maximum on the sound card etc, but without any improvement.
What am I doing wrong (or not doing!)?
Any advice would be welcome.

Windows XP Pro, 2600 processor, 512 mb Ram etc

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Recording LPs to CD
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 13:04 »
Hi mikeandnel and :welcome:

Have you got a seperate sound card as well as onboard sound ?
If so make sure that your recording program is set to record on the correct input, I recently had a similar problem with video audio in on a TV card and the program would only see my soundcard audio input not the TV cards own audio input.

Stand alone record decks usually need a pre amp to boost the level to match the required input on the line in.
The line out from a Hi Fi system should usually match the line in without any further amplification.

Have you tried it on the Mic in, its not usually as good as the line in but that may give you the higher volume level, especially if you tick the Mic Boost in the advanced settings  :?

Offline mikeandnel

LP to CD recording
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 15:12 »
Hi Sandra and thanks for the welcome.
I am a ?silver surfer? and would ask how one can differentiate between any ?on board? sound settings and the sound card itself.
The turntable has a pre-amp.
Motherboard is an ASUS A7V333 and soundcard is a Creative SB Live series.
Haven?t tried the Mic in socket as was concerned about any damage that might be caused .
mikeandnel

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Recording LPs to CD
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 16:51 »
Ok your motherboard has onboard sound, as ASUS have some audio drivers available for it on their site.

Usually if a seperate pci sound card is fitted then its best to disable the onboard sound in the bios.

Anyway if it is or it isnt disabled you need to make sure you know which input you are connecting to.

If its in one of the horizontal slots below where the pc monitor connects to then that will be your soundblaster live card.
If it plugs in higher up the tower, near where the mouse and keyboard and USB ports are, then you are using the onboard input.

In the program that you are using to record the LPs from there should be an option for the "audio input source".
It may be under a section called Preferences, Properties or Initial Setup, or something like that.
It should give you the option to select the soundblaster live or the name of the onboard one.
If it only mentions the one device then plug your line out from the record deck into that input, that was the case with my video audio problem that I mentioned earlier.

Again I havent used those particular programs so I dont know the exact section that you need to look in.

I dont think that you would damage anything by using the Mic in port, although it may distort the sound if the levels too high.

Offline mikeandnel

LP to CD recording
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:11 »
For Sandra,
Sorry for the delay in reply but been away.
I am trying to record from LP using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab Deluxe 3.
It only shows the sound card that is installed, i.e. Soundblaster, and as soon as I click on record the sound level is shown as 'Level too low' although the sliders on the soundcard amp screen are all set to maximum.
Recording format is shown as 44.1 kHz & Stereo
At present it is connected to the line in socket. Is there anything to be gained or improved by changing connection to Mic socket?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
mikeandnel

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: LP to CD recording
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:28 »
Quote from: "mikeandnel"

At present it is connected to the line in socket. Is there anything to be gained or improved by changing connection to Mic socket?

It definately sounds like either an impedance or amplitude mismatch or possibly a faulty lead, although if the audio level is playing through the speakers ok and its just the recording level thats too low then thats a bit unlikely.
Have you got something else that you can record to using that lead ?

I would try the Mic in as theres usually a mic boost option in the advanced settings in the audio control panel.
It wont do any harm, it may distort on playback if the levels too high.
You could play around with the settings on the pc and try it with the amp on and off from your record deck to see which gives you the best result.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum