Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sharp laptop wont boot  (Read 1184 times)

Offline axus44

Sharp laptop wont boot
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:51 »
Help appreciated please
I have a Sharp FS 2518 that wont boot up
Switch on, fans, hard drive and DVD spin, nothing on the screen or external monitor.  No beeps

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Sharp laptop wont boot
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08 »
Hi Axus and "welcome"

If it was a desktop I would suggest using the clear cmos jumper but if there is one on your laptop it would probably be innaccesable.

Not sure if this will do anything but remove the laptops main battery and just have it running from the mains power.
Switch it on and after you hear the fans and drive running switch the power of at the mains.
Then switch it back on, this may force it to restart in safe mode with any luck.

Offline axus44

Sharp laptop wont boot
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 17:21 »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.  Tried that, no joy, also tried leaving it on for three hours just in case but nothing.
What would the CMOS jumpers look like if I can get into the laptop please and what would I need to do

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Sharp laptop wont boot
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 18:14 »
I am not sure if laptops have a clear CMOS jumper or not.
I havent had that many in pieces.

A jumper is a small plastic part, not much bigger than a match head.
Usually black but can be other colours.
They just have a small piece of copper inside that makes a connection between two pins.

The CMOS one has two positions, position 1 connects pins 1 and 2 together for the normal running and switching the jumper to connect pins 2 and 3 shorts out the memory in the CMOS and loads its default settings.
The jumper then has to be replaced in the normal run position and the pc restarted.

This sometimes helps if the CMOS has somehow got currupted or if someone has altered the settings in such a way that it stops the pc booting.

As I said laptops dont always use the same setup as desktops and I am not sure if they even have a clear CMOS jumper.

Offline axus44

Sharp laptop wont boot
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 18:18 »
Thanks
If I can work out how to get into it, I will look to try that

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum