Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Force CHKDSK on reboot?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« on: March 11, 2006, 22:42 »
I am trying to run Diskeeper, in order to defrag my drive, and it keeps telling me that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on bootup, and it can't analyze or defrag until this has happened.  The problem is, it doesn't happen.  I have tried running CHKDSK C:, which runs in a command window, but is read only, and CHKDSK C: /f, which asks if I want it to run on reboot.  I say Yes, then reboot, but CHKDSK still doesn't run.  How do I force CHKDSK to run on reboot?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 00:03 »
It should run ok in safe mode Simon, I think.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 00:10 »
Sorry San, do you mean Diskeeper or chkdsk?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 00:30 »
Chkdsk, once its done its scan it should be ok for disk keeper  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:39 »
OK, I'll give it a try.  Will have to dig out a PS2 keyboard to get into safe mode.  :roll:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:16 »
Bugger!  Now found I can't get into Safe Mode.  It hangs on the drivers screen for about 10 minutes, then boots into normal Windows.  I have also now run "sfc /scannow", which replaced some files, and screwed up my display, so I had to reinstall the graphics drivers, but that's OK now.  I do need to get into Safe Mode somehow, as there are some left over registry entries from F-Secure which refuse to be deleted.  I have tried Norton Utilities and AMUST Registry Cleaner, both of which failed to remove the F-Secure entries.  It does seem as though I might inevitably be heading towards a Windows reinstall, but I want to avoid that if remotely possible.

:(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 13:59 »
Try switching the power off while the pc is in windows Simon.
It may bring the options up for starting in safe mode and others when you reboot.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 18:33 »
Oh, I get the options by pressing F8, Sandra, and I can select boot in Safe Mode, which it starts to do, but then, as I said, when you get all the drivers listed, it hangs for a few minutes, then automatically boots into normal Windows.  One thing switching off the power when running might have done, is forced a chkdsk on restart, but since I ran sfc, I have run Diskeeper successfully, so that's no longer an issue.  I just want to get rid of the stuff F-Secure left behind now.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 21:01 »
A program called Your Uninstaller may find some left over bits of F secure Simon.
Have a look in your mail box for it  :wink:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 21:49 »
Thanks for that San.  :kiss:  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to seek out left over registry entires, which the registry cleaners should do, but these entries appear to be 'locked' somehow.  What I may have to do is re-install F-Secure, and uninstall it again, using Your Uninstaller, and see if that clears it out completely.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 22:16 »
Its worth a try.
Your Uninstaller usually shows partially cleared programs as paler folders, a little like the hidden folders in windows.

I have used it successfully on hard to remove programs like Norton av on the rare occassions when its messed up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 22:36 »
Actually, CCleaner, which you mentioned in another post has done it, San, so thanks again!  :thumb:

All I need to do now, is sort out why I can't get into safe mode, and although I said it was no longer an issue, I'd still like to get chkdsk to run.

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 05:54 »
I don't know if you solved this yet, but i found an article on "kellys-korner" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Click on "C" then scroll (or use Ctrl-F in firefox) to find Check Disk. There's a bunch of stuff in there to try.

Also for booting into safemode, I noticed there are a few things in msconfig (Start>Run>type in "msconfig") you might be able to try. I have never done this before so I don't know what will happen. In the Boot.INI tab there's an option for "/SAFEBOOT". I don't know if that means safemode or what...like I said, I've never tried...
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Force CHKDSK on reboot?
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:07 »
Yeah, the boot.ini tab does include a safe mode option, but I'm a bit unsure whether to try it, the fear being that it will stall at the same place again, and I will then be unable to get into Windows to switch it back to normal boot mode.

Thanks for the Kelly's Korner link - always a good resource, and I'll check it out.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum