Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Wireless Printing?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline AdamBoyle

Wireless Printing?
« on: March 30, 2006, 19:27 »
Good evening everybody!

If possible I would like to rack the brains of this forums ICT experts. I am interested in purchasing a laser printer to save time in printing off all of my documents and transporting them between home and school, and soon home and work...

The problem is that I have very little space. I sit with my laptop on my bed, and there is no room for a laser printer to be stored on a bookcase or desk. My only choice is to locate the printer in another area of my house.

Is it possible to have a "wireless printer" so I can use my laptops wireless connection to send the print command to the printer located anywhere in my house? Thus saving on any wires being trailed across floors...

Thanks for any ideas :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Wireless Printing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 21:33 »
You can certainly get wireless printers, Adam.  Here's one example, but I expect there are others available:-

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=312457
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Wireless Printing?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:39 »
Also, if you have a desktop pc somewhere you can hookup the printer to the desktop pc, then share the printer on it. The only thing is that the desktop pc will need a wireless access point to connect to. You can use either a router or an ad-hoc connection.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline AdamBoyle

Wireless Printing?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 11:01 »
Is there any chance I could use a wireless print server to do a similar job?

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Wireless Printing?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 04:56 »
Interesting, I've never seen one of those before, lol... I'm looking at a d-link model right now, and it looks like you might need a router as well. I'm d/l'ing one of the install manuals to check. I'll post again when it's done, unless somebody else knows more about this than i do and posts first... anyways...

Edit:

I was looking at the picture again and the d-link one doesn't look right. I'm assuming you are looking for a print server for a usb printer so im redefining my search...
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Offline Hiatus

• JoshSalverda.com
Wireless Printing?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 05:28 »
I dunno, I found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00013Q0LY/ref=br_lf_ce_1/203-5466473-0876751

as well as some on here:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=3&CatID=34&l=2&CnL1=Wireless%20Network&CnL2=Wireless%20Print%20Servers

but they all seem pretty expensive. Sorry, I'm not very good at looking up stuff for people in the UK. But yeah, a wireless usb print server should work if you can find a cheap one (price-wise, not cheap quality) that supports ad-hoc.
l33t h@x0r... sort of...

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum