Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Be More Specific  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Be More Specific
« on: April 07, 2006, 18:21 »
A few years ago the battery in my beat-up VW Beetle had died because I left the lights on overnight. I was in a hurry to get to work on time so I ran into the house to get my wife to give me a hand to start the car.

I told her to get into our second car, a prehistoric oversized gas guzzler, and use it to push my car fast enough to start it. I pointed out to her that because the VW had an automatic transmission, it needed to be pushed at least 30 mph for it to start.

She said fine, hopped into her car and drove off. I sat there fuming wondering what she could be doing.

A minute passed by and when I saw her in the rearview mirror coming at me at about 40 mph, I realized that I should have been a bit clearer with my directions.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Be More Specific
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 21:01 »
First we gave them the vote, then we gave them driving licences - what do you expect?  

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Interesting...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 21:18 »
You should have a pair of jump leads.

Pushing automatics is not a good idea.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Be More Specific
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 08:44 »
Bigamy is one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. :wink:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
Be More Specific
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 00:15 »
Hegemony is a term used mostly by Marxist critics to delineate the web of dominant ideologies within a socety.

More hedges, and the world would be a perfect place!   QED

Offline Mac

• Established Member
Moral Minorities, a Historical fact.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 11:19 »
Hegemony is the dominance of one group over other groups, with or without the threat of force, to the extent that, for instance, the dominant party can dictate the terms of trade to its advantage; or more broadly, that cultural perspectives become skewed to favor the dominant group.

'In Nomine Domine' then, is not a good thing where moral minorities are concerned.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum