Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Posts since last visit.  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Posts since last visit.
« on: April 14, 2006, 10:32 »
Is it just me?

The site didn't log me in the first time, then when I logged in again my posts since last visit had gone  :cry:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline sam

• Administrator
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:12 »
was this the first time you have logged in since the site was upgraded last week.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:18 »
oooh it could be, my last post was the 7th.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 12:10 »
Yes, that does happen.  If you go to the main index page you can select 'view posts from previous', then select 1 week, 2 weeks, etc from the dropdown menu.  I have to admit, I have always found it annoying that the search new posts function doesn't remember what you have read and what you haven't, like it did on the old forum software, and as soon as you close your browser window, they are all lost.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 17:28 »
It is a bit inconvenient, Simon.  However, I find that the view posts from the last day option is a good way of getting round it, unless the weather and telly have been crap and there are hundreds of posts in the last day!  :x

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 20:43 »
Can't remember the last time that happened, Dave.  :|
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 14:36 »
:shock:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 19:42 »
:lol:

Well thanks for info..............Just thought you should know incase a problem.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 23:04 »
I logged on this evening and found there were supposedly four new posts since my last visit.  However, none of the forum icons were highlighted to indicate new posts.  I clicked on "Show new posts" and there weren't any.

I often seem to log on and find there have supposedly been lots of new posts, yet there's only a handful.

:dunno:
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 23:28 »
Have you allowed Firefox to save the cookie, Gill?  I know I keep on about the damned thing, but it has been the answer to a hell of a lot of queries in the past, especially of this nature, and of staying logged in.

I have found that Firefox will occasionally open two windows instead of one, and this leads to the 'disappearance' of the New Posts icons.  You can always check by going to the Home page, and click the Go button next to the drop down menu, by the view new posts, er, thingy.  :|

I have to say, we have had a lot of users querying the New Posts systems on this forum.  Personally, I don't find them a problem, and have got used to the way it works, but it's not the most user friendly feature of this forum software.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 01:50 »
Hi Simon

Yes, the cookies 'save' feature is enabled, and no, I haven't had two windows opening.  Actually, I got the same sort of anomally when I was using Opera (I tend to switch between browsers according to the state of my digestion - although I won't use MS IE for fear of indigestion  :)  ).

It's not a problem for me; I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was having problems but was hesitant to bring it up.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Posts since last visit.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 10:53 »
I have to say, we have had a lot of users querying the New Posts systems on this forum.  Personally, I don't find them a problem, and have got used to the way it works, but it's not the most user friendly feature of this forum software.

it can sometimes be tricked into believing you have read all the articles by your cookies. I suggest if you encounter this, you just use the view by x days. It probably occured this time due to overwhelming number of changes that occured to the forum this weekend.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum