Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB wireless mouse (logitech mx700)  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Aaron

USB wireless mouse (logitech mx700)
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:02 »
Hi!  I have a really annoying problem!

My mouse function has deteriorated over the past 24hours.  Initially it would stop working after a long period of inactivity.  I put that down to some sort of sleep mode to save power.  However, now it only works for maybe 2-5 seconds before it stops working.  Here is what I've tried so far.

Made sure mouse is fully charged
Used alternative USB ports-same problem.  Connects and works for 2-5s then intermittently works for maybe 10 then loses connection all together.  Whatever you do after this point you cannot re-establish the connection without unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.
Used it on another computer-works fine!  Which is annoying because it means the mouse isn't broken.
Used an alternative USB (cable) mouse on my computer-works fine
I have installed no new hardware recently (well within the last day) and have not bought anything that communicates in the radio frequency.
The mouse doesn't require any drivers to work but I don't think its a problem with them as any usb mouse wireless or not is recognised as a human interface device.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Aaron

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:15 »
Have you tried testing things with a corded mouse?  Also, have a look in your task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) to see if a program is running which is hogging all your resources.  If your CPU is up to 100% in the Performance tab, have a look on the Processes tab to see what's doing it.  You may have contracted some spyware from somewhere, or it maybe a genuine program having difficulties.  If you find something, use End Task to close it, and see if that cures things.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24 »
I have used a corded usb mouse and that seems to work fine.  I have just checked my cpu usage and it is at 2% on average when idle.
I have just noticed that if you keep the mouse moving whilst it is working you can keep it connected for much longer than if you use it 'properly'.  As soon as you stop moving it it then loses the connection and intermittantly works as before for 10s.  You can see why I was surprised when it worked on another computer!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 12:41 »
I don't know a lot about cordless peripherals, so hopefully someone else will be able to help you more later.  Could something else be interfering with the signal?  Do you have any other cordless hardware you could disconnect, to see if the mouse works on it's own?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 18:08 »
I have just noticed something else.  There is an LED that flashes when the mouse is connecting to the base station.  If the mouse is in use continually that light stays off but as soon as you stop moving the mouse it flashes once every 5 seconds.  I have done nothing since I posted last.  If you move the mouse it will not work until the LED flashes, after which it works ok until you stop moving it again.  Like I have said before it works perfectly on another computer so I assume my computer is refreshing the connection to the base station meaning it has to re-establish a link with the mouse.  Any ideas? Thanks

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 18:58 »
My mouse has a battery saving mode that switches it off after not moving it or clicking it for 30 seconds or so.
Just moving it doesnt wake it up, I have to click a button then its ok again.

I cant understand why yours has changed its normal pattern though and works ok on a different pc  :?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 15:08 »
I don't know if this is of use but I read somewhere ages ago that some spyware can cause mouses to behave like this, so might be worth doing a full system scan.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Aaron

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 19:19 »
Its gotten worse!  My computer no longer recognises any usb devices.  It acknowledges that they are connected but identify them as an unknown device after initially detecting them for what they are.  (I mean in the bubble that pops up).  I played with drivers and antispyware software for hours yesterday to no avail.  I now have a fresh installation of XP Pro on here and I have the same problem.  Unfortunately this points to a motherboard problem.  I only bought this new motherboard a month ago. Is it conceivable for it to work for a month and then stop?
This is my motherboard

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11069&GroupID=0

Is there any way I can get a definitive answer before I email the company?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 20:53 »
Do you have the CD which came with the motherboard?  Maybe the USB drivers need re-installing?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 23:38 »
You could try something like PC-Check or some other diagnostic program.

It does sound like its the onboard USB controllers that may be at fault.
Have you checked the Asrock site for updated drivers.

Even though its a new (to you mobo) it may have had either a bios or a driver update since your mobo was boxed, to fix that kind of problem if a few people have had it.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum