Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB ports  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Aaron

USB ports
« on: April 25, 2006, 19:13 »
Hi everyone.
I posted on 15th of this month having had problems with my wireless mouse.  What I didn't know at the time was that it was a symptom of a bigger problem and so thought a new thread would grab additional attention.  The previous post can be found here
http://www.pc-pals.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18854

All of what I've said is still valid.  Basically my usb ports are neither working nor broken.  They correctly identify and usb corded mouse and it works fine, they correctly identify a cordless mouse as a HID and it works intermittantly as if the connection to the base station is continually being refreshed.  All other devices (bluetooth, mobile phone, data stick-all working fine on other computers) are classified as unknown device.  I have a new install of xp sp2 on here which I have fully updated.  Is there a chip on the motherboard that identifies more complex devices? I'm worrying about contacting the company I bought it from about it since it works with a mouse.  I'm afraid they'll say its a software problem (which I'm hoping it is!)
Any ideas? Its so frustrating not having any usb ports!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
USB ports
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 20:24 »
The USB ports on the motherboard do require the correct drivers to be installed - which are usually found on the motherboard CD, or may well be located on the motherboard manufacturers website.  I haven't checked the other thread to see if you have mentioned this, but if you have re-installed Windows, it may well be the case that you need to re-install the motherboard USB drivers.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Aaron

USB ports
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 21:46 »
I haven't specifically installed usb drivers but the documentation with the motherboard does say that xp drivers are sufficient.  I bought this motherboard just over a month ago and everything worked fine from a fresh install of xp then but just one day stopped working.  The devices that I have are generic, my data stick especially, so don't require any drivers in addition to those provided by windows.  Does anyone have any theories why they recognise a mouse correctly?

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
USB ports
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 23:39 »
it sounds like your driver  folder has been corrupted or partially deleted

go to your device manager and check to see if any yellow flags are there
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline Aaron

USB ports
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 13:52 »
I have just checked the device manager and all devices are installed correctly and working.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum