Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Theres hope for us yet  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Theres hope for us yet
« on: May 23, 2006, 13:20 »
It looks like technology will possibly still overcome corprorate greed  :)

http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/21/the-clicker-hdcps-shiny-red-button/

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Theres hope for us yet
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 14:06 »
I read every word on that link, Sandra, and I'm still as confused as ever.  :blush:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Theres hope for us yet
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 14:34 »
In a nutshell Lona its a device to overcome DRM, the nasty thing that Intel and the film/music industries have developed to stop you being able to play back certain films and music, or copying them for your friends.

To watch HD (High Definition) the viewing and playback devices will connect through either component cables (bulky, multiple cables) or HDMI (similar to a USB cable in shape and size).

HDMI will incorporate HDCP (High Definition Copywrite Protection).
This will mean that you will at best watch a HD movie in a lesser standard than its capable of or at worst a fuzzier picture than you get now on SD tvs or maybe no picture at all  :shock:

This clever little box, and hopefully similar cheaper boxes are now being made that will bypass the HDCP part and enable full HD to be watched on a HD TV that has HDMI, whether you are playing a DVD or similar that they have ripped you off into paying silly amounts of your hard earned cash for or if you get a copy off your local pirate DVD supplier or download from the net  :)

If the film and music companies sold DVDs and CDs at a more reasonable price then of course none of this would be necessary.
While they rip us off here in the UK by charging us approximately twice the cost of the same article in other countries then I am in favour of people avoiding making the large corporations even richer at our expense.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Theres hope for us yet
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 20:38 »
I might have to put something like that on santas list  :D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Theres hope for us yet
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 22:23 »
Which brings me to my next question that is "what's the difference between HD and HDMI"?? :?
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Theres hope for us yet
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 23:36 »
HD or High Definition is the format and is expressed as being in 720p or 1080i display, ( p is for Progressive Scan and i is for Interleaved). This is supposedly the equivalent of 1200 lines on a conventional CRT TV which until now has had 625 lines here in the UK.

HDMI is the digital connection that HD signals can be transferred from a DVD player or Set Top Box such as Sky or a Freeview box, if and when they start HD transmissions.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum