Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: looking for a tool/application  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Naruto

looking for a tool/application
« on: June 27, 2006, 13:25 »
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a tool where I can make an image...draw some lines in it...and display the values in a graph. After that.. I want to modify the lines inside the image...like drag the line a bit higher/lower..and that the modified values will be displayed in the graph automatically (real-time).

Does anyone know whether such tool/application exists?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 18:33 »
Sounds like you need something like AutoCad.  You can download a free 30 day trial from that link, but after that, unfortunately it's not free, in a big expensive not free kind of way!

Hopefully someone can recommend something similar, which doesn't cost as much, or there may be a way to get Autocad a bit cheaper.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Naruto

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:48 »
thnx for your reply. hmm there are a lot of versions of autocad.
I've tried the free trial version, but I don't understand the program at all..way too difficult  :laugh:
But it seems that I can only display couches and windows and stuff..decorating and architecture kind of things

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 12:46 »
There's lots of design programs available - Dreamweaver is another one, but again, I don't think it's exactly join the dots.

Perhaps if you could explain again what you are trying to do, someone will be able to help.  Sorry, but I didn't really grasp the nature of your project from what you said initially.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 16:18 »
nor did i, might need to be a customer wrote app... ? in VB or something?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 17:14 »
Perhaps Google Sketchup might be useful?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 20:37 »
My God, is there nothing Google doesn't do?

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 06:49 »
A prof of mine was talking about a program you could punch in equations and make shapes and such. She said thats what they pretty much did in calculus, punch in values to change the size and shape of their work. I think she said you could change the shape with the mouse pointer and it would spit the new equations back out.

She didn't tell me what the name of the app was. Guess ill have to bug her for the name monday.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 09:02 »
It might also be worth looking at http://www.gliffy.com/

Offline Naruto

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 08:24 »
Thnq you all for your replies. I appreciate it very much!

hmm google sketchup is only able to draw 3D houses and stuff and qliffy is almost same as visio. They don't have the option to draw graphs/histograms.

Bobscrachy: the application what your prof. is using, kind of matches my description. If you could ask her which application she uses, you would make me a happy man  :laugh:

Offline Naruto

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 08:27 »
Quote from: "sam"
nor did i, might need to be a customer wrote app... ? in VB or something?

I tried to fix it in VB, but I don't know how to modify data within an image.
I presume I need an imagebox or picturebox to display something with lines, which I can modify by dragging it.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 08:31 »
ummm I'm not sure how to do that in VB. I reckon you could easily right your own software n IDL but then again IDL is something you have to pay through the roof for - and would be pretty awkward to get into
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Naruto

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 10:53 »
IDL is indeed a very useful program. It has many many possibilities. Too bad you have to pay for it. The trial version only allow you to play with the program for 7 minutes :)
The program is very complex too..can't figure out how to use it..unless I follow their trainingprogramme they provide, which is very expensive  :roll:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum