Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: New TV  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« on: June 03, 2006, 18:12 »
I have just ordered a new TV :

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/222539

Should arrive on thursday so hopefully I can finally watch some of the HD stuff off my new pc on it  :)

As its a CRT and not LCD or plasma it should be better for SD tv too.
When the new SED and OLED TVs come out in a few years time I will probably get a slightly bigger but much slimmer tv.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
New TV
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 18:27 »
Nice one, Sandra, and hopefully installed for the start of the footy World Cup.   :twisted:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
New TV
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 18:33 »
Looks good, Sandra.   :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 18:34 »
Well thats one thing that will probably never be seen on my tv Dave, along with soaps, big brother and reality shows  :roll:

I have season 1 of Lost and season 1 of Prison Break, all in HD Xvid on my pc that I want to watch.

Theres a HD satellite USB tuner coming out from Nebula soon that I am thinking of possibly getting.
I can connect that to my existing motorised dish or I may get another motor for my second dish as the Nebula one will drive a Diseqc motor.
My main dish has a 36 volt motor so I would need to use my existing receiver to position that if I dont motorise the second dish.

Quite a lot of satellites are doing HD with dolby digital sound, just need to find out if I can see the scrambled channels with the Nebula one like my Echostar does  :wink:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 20:22 »
Can I come down to your house and watch Corrie on HD Sandra? :D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 23:08 »
Definately not unless you bring Euan and me him and go down the pub while you watch it with Charlie  :P

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 01:06 »
Just noticed a link for a discount voucher that I could have got another £20 off the price with  :(

http://www.currys.co.uk/GenericEditorial.php?genericeditorial=affiliate_wk0506

I have emailed them to see if they can add it or if I have to cancel my order and re order it using the code for the discount :)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
New TV
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 01:53 »
Nice one Sandra.
I bought an NEC 76cm (32") wide screen off eBay for $775aud or about 310 pounds. Its not 100Hz, but SD is enough for me.
Had it a week and noticed a fault with the PIP and it ended up at NEC for 7 weeks. Little wonder it was so cheap. Thank goodness for the NEC Warranty, it was a $200 part that needed replacing.
I much prefer CRT tele's to LCD or Plasma, Michael has a 19" Medion LCD and it seems to be flat, no depth to it.
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
New TV
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 17:49 »
No reply to my email by this afternoon so I rang Currys customer support.

The guy said it would be easier and quicker to cancel my order and reorder it, which he did on the phone for me.

So its now only £479-99, including the stand, speakers and free delivery.

The downside is that I have another £479-99 out on my credit card as it will take about 3 working days to refund the original £499-99 for some reason, the phone call was to an 0870 number so that will probably have cost me a couple of quid  :evil:

Also its put the delivery date back a day to friday instead of thursday.

At least that means that the DVI to HDMI cable that I won on ebay for the princely sum of 1p (the postage and insurance required by the seller was £6-98  :shock:   ), should be here by the time the TV arrives so I can start watching HD the same day with any luck  :)

I am also in the process of "acquiring" a calibration dvd  (4.2gig) so that should have downloaded by then too  :wink:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
New TV
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 22:33 »
I hope it all turns out to your satisfaction Sandra.  I bought a 37" Toshiba LCD from Play.com for my son last week.  To be fair, it turned up within 36 hours.  But by that time the price had fallen a further £100.   :laugh:  I always manage to buy things at the wrong time!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum