Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Saving Firefox Bookmarks  (Read 1880 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:09 »
Hi, everybody.

I have now got all my boomarks from Opera into Firefox.  It was a bit of a faff because there is no straightforward was to move them between the two programs.  I had to export my Opera bookmarks as an html file and then open them one by one to save them as I wanted them to appear in Firefox.

My question is, how do I now save my Firefox bookmarks so that when I do a format c: (probably soon as I have all July and August off work) so that I can simply replace them, folders and all when I reinstall Firefox?  Also (although I haven't set them up yet) I will want to save all my email/address book contacts too.

Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 11:44 »
Hi Dave!   :banana:

All of your Firefox data is saved in a separate folder, which is usually something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[xxxxxxx]  (it may be different on yours, as I also have Mozilla, but up to Application Data will be the same)

In there you will find Bookmarks.html, which you can save and restore, by simply copying and pasting.  Of course, you could just save the entire profile folder, but if you format, make sure the profile is back in place for when you reinstall Firefox, or it will create a new profile.  If that happens, it's easy enough to transfer the data from the old saved profile, by copying and pasting.  Other useful files to save in the profile folder are:

prefs.js (stores all your settings)
signons.txt (stored passwords)

For Thunderbird, there is a separate profile folder, also in the same Application Data folder, which contains all your mail accounts in the Mail folder.  To back up, simply copy the folder, and also the prefs.js, to restore the settings.  You will also find abook.mab in that folder, which is your address book.  Again, after a format, make sure the profile is back in place before reinstalling Thunderbird, if you intend to use your old profile.

Personally, I would recommend creating new profiles when you format, and just import the backed up files you need, by overwriting the new ones.  If you use a complete old profile, it may carry with it any errors which were present before the format.

Hope that helps!

P.S.  Just come across this, which might also be of interest, but I haven't used it myself, as I prefer to back up manually.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 14:33 »
Thanks, Simon.

I hope you aren't planning to go away on holiday anytime soon, as I think I might be looking towards your expertise over the next month or so!   :wink:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 17:20 »
There might be a special clause, Dave.  For every problem solved, I get to recommend an extension!  :devil:  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 15:21 »
:lol:

You'll be pleased to know, Simon, that I have installed an extension.  One thing I have missed about Opera is mouse gestures, so I did a search and found an extension that allows mouse gestures in Firefox.   :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 15:47 »
Dave you are so weak!   This is the start of the slippery slope.  :laugh:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Saving Firefox Bookmarks
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 18:15 »
btw you can just export your firefox bookmarks in html mode aswell... go bookmarks and export  - just save as html
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum