Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 10 biggest security threats you don't know about.  (Read 9213 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
10 biggest security threats you don't know about.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 04:44 »
Quote from: "Simon"
I'm saying nothing!  :mmm:

Chicken.

http://www.funpages.com/chickendance/
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 08:07 »
:lol:  The trouble with all Firewalls is that they do need some 'training', and will ask you when applications attempt to access the internet, particularly when you first install one.  I believe ZA is fairly straighforward, but you will no doubt still get a few where you don't know what it is, although some will be more obvious.  One method is to Google the name of an application, or ***.exe file, when it applies for access, which will usually give you a reasonable idea as to whether it's safe or not.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 09:16 »
"Training", you mean I'll have to use my brain more than normal. :argh:

Using Google is a good idea.

I know you have suggested Zone Alarm and I probably will go with that one, but here is the selection I am looking at.

http://www.filehippo.com/software/firewalls/

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 09:59 »
Of those, I have used Outpost, which was fine, except it didn't allow the use of some P2P applications, such as WinMX, Zone Alarm, which didn't cope well with Mail Washer, and Sygate, which was great, but it's now part of Norton, and I'm not sure how much of it has changed.  I think you take a bit of a chance with all of them, and it's a question of finding the right one to suit your needs, but as most of those are free, you don't lose anything by trying them, and it's better to have some protection than none at all.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53 »
The Sygate one is an older version before that occurred I think.

Note that from November 30th, 2005 all Sygate consumer firewall products have been discontinued but this versions is available here for free use.

I had a look at the Outpost site and with the free trial version it is suggested that any firewall applications should be uninstalled before downloading as it could cause instability (crashes). I really don't want to go there again, but I also don't wish to tamper with XP's firewall. Is turning it off enough as I don't think I can uninstall it, not sure.
Earlier this year I tried downloading Kerio onto Michael's computer, it was to be burn to CD for the PB, but it wouldn't download until I uninstalled the XP's firewall. I ended up downloading it as a zip file.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50 »
Switching off the Windows Firewall should be enough to avoid conflicts with other software.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 10:11 »
With much deliberation I decided on Zone Alarm basic, thankyou Sam and Simon for your advice.
The first thing it did was block itself. :laugh:  Michael, who fixed it for me, found that very funny. :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 20:16 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
The first thing it did was block itself.

:wtf:  Your PC certainly seems to have some unique characteristics, Kate!

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 09:01 »
You can say that again.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum