Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Mr and Mrs 'to make TV comeback'  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Mr and Mrs 'to make TV comeback'
« on: July 23, 2006, 23:05 »
Mr and Mrs 'to make TV comeback'[/size]

Derek Batey brought Mr and Mrs to TV in 1967

The classic TV gameshow Mr and Mrs is to be revived - 18 years after the original series was last screened.

The show, hosted by Derek Batey, relied on the simple format of watching a husband and wife answer questions about married life.

During its heyday in the 1970s, nine million viewers regularly tuned in.

Production company Celador - who also make Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - said it hoped to rework the show into a "modern day hit".

Family entertainment

Mr and Mrs was first broadcast in the Border region of ITV in 1967 before being picked up nationally in 1973 and running until 1988.

It was briefly revived in 1999 with comic Julian Clary hosting the series but was dropped after a few screenings.

In a statement, Celador said it had acquired worldwide television rights for Mr and Mrs from Derek Batey Enterprises Limited and games company Upstarts!.

Adrian Woolfe, MD of Celador International, said: "With the current renaissance in the popularity of the gameshow, this is the perfect time to revisit and revive classic formats.  I'm confident that Mr and Mrs can be refreshed and reworked."

Mr Batey said: "Over the last 30 years that I have produced and presented Mr and Mrs, it has always been great family entertainment.

"I am now looking forward to using my vast experience to help Celador International create a refreshed and updated version of the show."

A number of other classic gameshows are making a comeback, including Joe Pasquale presenting the 1980s series The Price Is Right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5207684.stm

What was your favourite 70s / 80s TV game show?[/i]
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 23:14 »
:omg: those 70's/80's game shows were DREADFUL!  They are all best forgotten.   :laugh:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:46 »
I quite liked Mr & Mrs  :blush: .  I also liked Cuckoo In The Nest and Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game.  Larry Grayson never matched up to Brucie.

Can I redeem a little street credibility by claiming to have adored I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Just A Minute from the moment I first heard them?  I realise they're radio game shows and this thread is supposed to be about TV, but they're brilliant.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum