Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ELO tops 'guilty pleasures' song list  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
ELO tops 'guilty pleasures' song list
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:36 »
ELO's 1976 single Livin' Thing has topped a Q magazine list of uncool records it is okay to love.

"ELO may never be fashionable but, in terms of sheer aural elation, this betters more revered bands' entire back catalogues," says the magazine.

The top 10 "guilty pleasures" also includes More Than a Feeling by Boston, S Club 7's Don't Stop Movin' and 10cc's I'm Not In Love.

Q says it aims to "restore a veritable treasure trove of music to glory".

TOP TEN GUILTY PLEASURES
    1. ELO - Livin' Thing
    2. Boston - More Than A Feeling
    3. S Club 7 - Don't Stop Movin'
    4. 10cc - I'm Not In Love
    5. Gary Glitter - Rock'n'Roll Part 2
    6. Foreigner - Cold As Ice
    7. Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
    8. Status Quo - Whatever You Want
    9. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    10. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

Source: Q Magazine[/list]
Other records in the list include Never Ever by All Saints, and Life is a Roller Coaster by Ronan Keating - both of which reached number one in the UK.

Manic Monday by the Bangles and Status Quo's Whatever You Want also make the Top 20.

The Electric Light Orchestra, led by multi-instrumentalist Jeff Lynne, had a string of hits in the 1970s, including Roll Over Beethoven and Don't Bring Me Down.

They also had considerable success in the US, becoming a staple of the stadium rock circuit.

Q described Livin' Thing, from their 1976 album A New World Record, as "gloriously bonkers".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/5237492.stm
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:16 »
Damn there are some good songs there!!  I wonder if you can buy a compilation CD?    8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:19 »
I just bought an ELO compilation, which I have been playing in the car, and it made me dig out Out Of The Blue, which is the classic ELO album, and still sounds a masterpiece today.  The long version of Roll Over Beethoven is well worth seeking out.  It doesn't usually appear on compilations, but is on the album ELOII, most of the rest of which is dross, but is worth having just for that track.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum