Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Where is the Entertainment?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Where is the Entertainment?
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:55 »
I dont know if I may be hard to please, but I find Television today mostly a load of crap!

These so called "Reality Shows" of which there seems to be loads, to me hold no entertainment value at all. The people involved are poor little "nobodys" trying for there moment of fame, and the word "personality" has ceased to have a sensible meaning.

I have both terrestial and freeview digital tv, but still am hard pushed to enjoy my evenings tv!

Where are the comedy programmes? and the good old variety shows, and other good light entertainment productions?

For many years, I was connected to the entertainment business, and I have been lucky enough to have known many of the great "Stars" of light entertainment. I have been Stage Manager, and Lighting director at one of the Souths top seaside theatres, and have also been part of a illusion and magic act called "The Amazing Delgados". In this context, I have met both some of the old greats, but many young acts who have now become household names. I feel sorry for the young acts-where can they work if TV dosent want them? There must be many people who would enjoy a good laugh, or a good speciality act, but are forced to watch this crap that is now promoted.

Sorry for the rant-but I feel better now!!!!!

:x  :x  :x
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:59 »
I have to agree, TV comedy especially is dire at the moment, and I have no time at all for any of the 'reality' shows.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 11:18 »
Well said, Delgado.  My thoughts exactly.

:clap:

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 14:42 »
I agree, we now have cheap television.

The only promising young talent I can see on TV at the moment are Ant and Dec.  I think these two young stars will continue to shine and could end up the Morecombe and Wise of the future. :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 14:43 »
Can't you just go back to doing what people used to do before TV was invented?  

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 14:52 »
Sorry Rodders - it looks like we don't have a 'system restore'.

Gill
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:30 »
There's been some wonderful television this summer.  Over the past couple of weeks I've been indulging in some programmes that I missed because I was too young to watch them the first time they were broadcast.  The first is the superb I Claudius on BBC4 and the second is Secret Army on UK Drama.

What's struck me is how relatively inexpensive both these series would have been to produce; a few costumes, a couple of sets and the odd derelict building or quarry for Secret Army.  But they are distinguished by the quality of the actors and scripts.  Now, to my mind it doesn't cost any more to employ poor actors and scriptwriters than it takes to employ good ones.  Well, it might cost a little more, but there's got to be an established salary range within the industry.

So if programmes such as these (which pulled in millions of viewers and achieved rave critical appraisals) are cheap to make and are deemed worthy of being repeated more than a generation after they were first broadcast, why aren't more being produced nowadays?  I'm sure we've still got great actors and scriptwriters who'd love an opportunity to get involved in such projects.  I wonder why they're no longer being produced.

Gill

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum