Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Router or ADSL Modem...?  (Read 17354 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2006, 13:01 »
Quote from: "Simon"

I have got round the PC Pitstop "problem" :whistle: and it has now "optimised" my PC, but I'm still only getting 2.8Mbps, according to the router, and even less if I test it with any of the speed test sites.  :(

So your router is only connecting at 2.8Mbps ?

That shouldn't change with swapping pc's as that's the speed the isp is potentially supplying to your house and may be because of the distance you are from your exchange.

This is mine...

DownStream Connection Speed     8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed    448 kbps

But i usually get between 4 and 7Mbps depending and im 770metres from my village exchange according to a BT guy who was working here on the line a while back.

Have you updated the software on the router yet Si?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2006, 14:01 »
Yes, updated the software the first day I had it, Cammy.

The difference in speed is not when connecting the router to two different PCs, but the old ADSL modem, as the other PC I was working on doesn't have a network card, so I couldn't use the router.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2006, 17:13 »
Think I have solved my problem with E-Mule!

The connections were maxing out in router. I have cut my number of connections in E-Mule to 180 from 500, and switched off Kad, which has a reputation of connecting to hundreds very fast, and all appears well at the moment-keeping my fingers crossed

:blush:  :blush:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2006, 19:22 »
I find it strange that the router couldn't cope with the same set up you had with your ADSL modem.  I thought these things were supposed to be better!  :roll:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2006, 19:27 »
umm that it is rather odd... should easily be able to cope with anything a usb connected modem can...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2006, 22:03 »
Dont really know what I am talking about, but when I Googled for an answer, I came across a site that explained about these things.

The Router I was using was a BT Voyager 205, and according to this site, that was the problem, as the Voyager had a max of 200 connections.

Anyway, thats what I did and it worked! However, as the Voyager was second hand, and I am a bit flush with cash at the mo (Just helped out a business friend of mine who was short staffed), I have now bought  a Linksy ADSL2 Gateway-loveley piece of kit, far better than the Voyager.

:D  :D  :D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2006, 22:22 »
Glad you bought the linksy, Delgado.  Simon never listens to me.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2006, 22:24 »
Thanks also for the Port forwarding link Lona-very helpful-makes port forwarding a piece of cake.

:D  :D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2006, 22:28 »
Quote from: "Delgado"
Thanks also for the Port forwarding link Lona-very helpful-makes port forwarding a piece of cake.

:D  :D

You're welcome, Delgado.  Hope you enjoy your new router. :)

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2006, 23:44 »
Quote from: "Lona"
Glad you bought the linksy, Delgado.  Simon never listens to me.  :)

Pardon?  

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2006, 00:37 »
The Bt voyager routers arent the best piece of kit you can get, same as the BT voyager modems.
Theyre supplied with BT internet, Talk Talk and Tiscali free of charge so that should give a clue as to what they are like  :roll:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Linksy Router
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2006, 13:26 »
At a risk of reviving an old discussion, and being called a bore,  :blush: I have got rid of my Linksy Router, and went back to a Modem for a time.

I had problems with Linksy keep cutting out, so got a refund. There lies another story, had a load of rudeness from an arrogant boy who knew nothing at Maplins. Got the refund, after causing him agro!!!

Anyway , bought a Belkin, which is first class-connection as solid as a rock-touch wood.

My question is-Do I need to switch on Stateful Packet Inspection in my Firewall, which is Look n Stop, or will that balls up my Router connection?
Stateful Packet Inspection in Look n Stop is not switched on by default.

I might add that I went to Staples for the Belkin Router, and got first class service. Never go to Maplins ever again  :x

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Linksy Router
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2006, 14:04 »

My question is-Do I need to switch on Stateful Packet Inspection in my Firewall, which is Look n Stop, or will that balls up my Router connection?

I havent heard of either of those options  :blush:

You could always try it and see then change it back if it screws something up  :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re: Linksy Router
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2006, 17:33 »
At a risk of reviving an old discussion, and being called a bore,  :blush: I have got rid of my Linksy Router, and went back to a Modem for a time.

I had problems with Linksy keep cutting out, so got a refund. There lies another story, had a load of rudeness from an arrogant boy who knew nothing at Maplins. Got the refund, after causing him agro!!!

Anyway , bought a Belkin, which is first class-connection as solid as a rock-touch wood.

I might add that I went to Staples for the Belkin Router, and got first class service. Never go to Maplins ever again  :x

Sorry you didn't like your linksy router, Delgado.  I've never had any problems with mine.

My friend on the other hand bought a belkin router and she gets constant cut offs.   I suppose it's just luck.  I suppose you can get rogue models.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2006, 20:23 »
When an IP packet arrives at the firewall from the Internet, the firewall must decide if it should be forwarded to the internal network. In order to accomplish this the firewall "looks" to see what connections have been opened from the inside of the network to the Internet. If there is a connection open that applies to the packet that has arrived from the Internet then it will be allowed through, otherwise it will be rejected.

This is known as stateful packet inspection. The firewall looks at the source and destination IP addresses, the source and destination ports and the sequence numbers to decide if the packet belongs to a current open connection. Stateful packet inspection only allows traffic into the network on connections opened from inside the network or on services explicitly opened by the administrator.

And I didn't steal that from anywhere... :whistle:  :grin:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum