Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Router or ADSL Modem...?  (Read 17263 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 14:15 »
Don't be daft Simon.  Cancel your order.  My friend, who is a pc numty managed to set up her router with little fuss.

Just think, you might decide to get yourself a laptop and you can set up a wireless connection using your router.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 14:55 »
Too late - it's arrived!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 14:59 »
:argh:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 19:53 »
Quote from: "Simon"
Too late - it's arrived!

Chicken  

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 20:55 »
Well, I think there's a deeper issue here.  I was trying to repair an old PC belonging to a friend this afternoon, who inadvisedly installed AOL, and now it doesn't work.  I connected my usual ADSL modem to this old PC, in order to get Windows Updates, download Firefox and install and update a new security suite, and I was getting speeds of up to 5.8Mbps, with the same modem, on that old machine!  Now I am connected back on my own PC, I am only getting 2.7Mbps.  I have also tried the new modem on my PC, and it managed 3.0Mbps, but where's the rest of my speed gone?  I can't really blame Pipex or BT, if speeds are up on one machine and down on another.  I can only assume there is something adrift with my network settings, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.  I have tried TCP/IP Optimiser, but it made no difference.  I'm stumped.

:dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 01:47 »
Could be your phoneline Simon. Maybe your friend lives in a different area??

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 09:33 »
No, I had the machine here, Lona, next to mine.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 09:49 »
ummm, you dont have any firewalls installed that could be slowing the whole thing down do you? how different is your setup to your friends...

also did you install a new driver for the device on your friends machine?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 13:28 »
Same firewall on friend's PC, Sam, in fact, I installed it at the same time as installing the modem.  I used the original CD, so the drivers are the same as on mine, and they have not been updated according to the website.  I have just been finishing off the friend's PC, and again, I am getting 4.8Mbps on that one, and have just come back onto mine, and back to 2.9Mbps.  :(

Offline sam

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 14:12 »
umm...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
Router Connection
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 20:14 »
Ive been reading this topic with interest, and have often thought about a Router, however, Ive got no clue as to set up or connect it to my PC.

If you dont connect to USB port, where do you connect it?

:?:  :?:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline sam

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 20:29 »
rj-45 connection normally.. it is commonly called the network port, similar in shape to modem cable and is normally near your usb ports.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 22:01 »
Well, as I have still had no improvement on my connection speed, I have taken the plunge, and await delivery of one of these, purchased new off eBay for a shade over £40.  Like Delgado, I'm wondering how it actually connects to my PC, if not via USB.  I don't have an RJ45 port, other than in my 56K dial up modem.  Does this mean I will also have to buy some sort of network card?

Offline sam

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 23:20 »
you have a modern computer that doesn't have a network card? sounds a bit shocking to me... anyway, yes you will have to.. and to buy the cables but these can be picked up rather cheaply.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Router or ADSL Modem...?
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 00:07 »
I built the computer myself, Sam, and at the time, didn't need a network card, so didn't install one.

I'll wait till the router arrives, which should be tomorrow.  According to the info on eBay, it has everything I would need, but whether this includes a network card, I have yet to find out.  What about a USB wireless network adaptor, like this one?  Would that do the same thing?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum