Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Port forwarding.  (Read 10049 times)

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:19 »
So what you're saying is that it really only needs that one port open to work properly. And that's traffic in and out?

Why do I get the red warning sign?

If that's fine on my computer (using the USB connection), how does Michael set his UTorrent Port Forwarding up, (Ethernet connection) on our Modem.

I found a couple of sites on the DLink 302G and Port Forwarding, not very complimentary.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Modems_routers_that_are_known_to_have_problems_with_P2P

http://forums.bitcomet.com/lofiversion/index.php?t935.html
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 12:57 »
It should be eaxctly the same as you did for yours MB.
Just use the LAN IP address of his pc the same way as you used your LAN IP address in the router settings for the same ports.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 13:35 »
OK Thanks Sandra, so he uses the same port that I'm using for UTorrent.

Also in UTorrents Options/Speed Guides - Test if Port is forwarded properly.

It comes up as Error Port doesn't appear to be open?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Port forwarding.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 16:38 »
I hate to say this, but that could be down to Zone Alarm, Kate.  :|  I seem to recall having the same problem when I tried it myself.  You will need to open the port in that as well.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 09:19 »
Good to know my firewall is working. :laugh:

One minor problem, how do I open a port in Zone Alarm. :?  :blush:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 09:47 »
From memory, I can't remember, but this should help, MB:-

http://www.firewalling.com/personalfirewalls/ZoneAlarmPro.htm

It might actually be worth looking in the progams list for µTorrent, then delete it, and next time you launch µTorrent, ZA should ask for permission, then say yes to all, and tick to remember the answer.  That should allow all ports µTorrent wants to use, rather than having to make special rules for specific ports.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 10:33 »
Thanks Simon, but I don't have the Pro version, so no Options. :?

So I unticked permission, and then opened UTorrent and when it asked I ticked and said yes.
Went Ok for a while (yellow warning) then went to red warning again, so I Port Tested again, same thing. :(

And what does Banned (I.P Address) in Logger mean, and failed Hash Check doesn't sound good either. :? Lots of them. :shock:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 14:13 »
I would think that if you have been downloading and not giving anything back your IP address could be getting banned.

I always leave my bt torrents running until I have given back the amount I have received.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 18:34 »
Failed hash check is usually because you have opened the bit torrent client, and it is trying to upload something which is has been moved, or deleted, or was downloaded using different bit torrent software.   Not sure about the banned IP bit, but Lona could be right, and if so, the answer might be to ask your ISP for a dynamic IP, which changes each time you log on to the Internet.

In ZA, if you open the programs list, you should have 4 green ticks for the µTorrent entry, like the pic below (which isn't mine, just a random screenshot I pinched off the net).

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 10:44 »
Thanks Lona, I had a feeling thats what it was.

How can I move files that I already have into UTorrent so I can share those.
I asked Michael a couple of days ago and he wasn't sure it was possible :?

Thanks Simon, I have 4 green ticks for UTorrent.
I'm only downloading one thing and it's only 205MB.

Is there a way seeing what ports I am using for everything?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 10:51 »
To see your open ports do Start > Run then type 'cmd', (without the quotes) and click OK.  At the prompt, type 'netstat', and it should show a list of open ports.

You should be able to use the actual torrent file which initially launched the download, to import the torrent into µTorrent for seeding, but sometimes, different BT clients append a label to the torrent name, which would need to be removed before you could upload it again.  Not sure how easy that is to do, as I've never had to myself.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 11:14 »
The port number I used for UTorrent isn't there, it doesn't go up to that number?
Should I try to port forward again and choose a port closer to the last number listed?

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Modems_routers_that_are_known_to_have_problems_with_P2P

Would our Modem have anything to do with this (302G).
And the DMZ game mode?
I have a lot of Failed Hash Check.
 :?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2006, 11:26 »
I don't even know where that setting is in my router, but mine is in that list (DG834G), and I don't have any problems with torrents.  You have set µTorrent to stick to the one port, yes?  And you've forwarded that port through the router, and allowed it in the router firewall?  If you've done all that, and it's getting through ZA, I don't know what else to suggest.  There is a little program you could download, called TcpView, which gives you more details as to what ports are open, and what applications are using them.  That may at least establish whether your µTorrent port is open.

By the way, the 'banned IP' message you got may only apply to that one download site.  Have you tried downloading something from somewhere else?

Oh, just one more thing, in µTorrent Options > Connections, untick Enable UPnP port mapping.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2006, 13:03 »
Misty, why not scrap Utorrents and download this one........................

http://www.bittornado.com/
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2006, 13:25 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
Seeming I would have to do it all again anyway, I decided to uninstall BitTornado and install UTorrent, as Michael has it and believes it's the easiest to use. :?

Now Lona I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here that you haven't read all of this thread.
Or you're just trying to be funny. :laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum