Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Port forwarding.  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Port forwarding.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 13:31 »
I don't think it's µTorrent itself which is the problem.  Whatever client you use, you are still going to have to get it through ZA and your router.  As it seems to be enabled in ZA, it can really only be the router that's blocking it, MB, and I'm fairly sure it's all to do with this wretched port mapping.

Just an idea, but after you have opened the port, have you tried rebooting the router?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 13:42 »
Quote from: "mistybear"
Quote from: "mistybear"
Seeming I would have to do it all again anyway, I decided to uninstall BitTornado and install UTorrent, as Michael has it and believes it's the easiest to use. :?

Now Lona I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here that you haven't read all of this thread.
Or you're just trying to be funny. :laugh:

Sorry  Misty, didn't notice the part where you had bittornado.

As an exercise last night I installed Utorrents, tried to download a file and got nowhere with it.  Downloaded the same file using bittornado and it came down no problem.
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 13:44 »
The last thing in the port forwarding, it said something about Save and Reboot. I clicked on those but nothing seemed to happen.... Aaarrrrhhh.

OK maybe that's the problem.

I'll go back and do it again. But not tonight, it's past my bedtime.

Is that what you mean by Rebooting the Router?
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 13:51 »
Quote from: "Lona"
Sorry  Misty, didn't notice the part where you had bittornado.

As an exercise last night I installed Utorrents, tried to download a file and got nowhere with it.  Downloaded the same file using bittornado and it came down no problem.

I have the feeling that it is the Modem, as Michael has problems here, but when he is over a friends with his computer using their router he hasn't had a problem.
So as Simon says, excuse the pun, it wouldn't matter which one we use. :(

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 14:05 »
Another thing you could try is temporary disabling the router's built in firewall.

You should still be protected with ZA.

Personally I uninstalled ZA as it caused all sorts of problems with my downloads.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 17:04 »
I don't know the characteristics of your router, Misty, but powering off and on again also acts as a reboot, if you can't find the actual reboot button, which will be somewhere in the settings.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 00:11 »
If you select save settings and reboot then it should do it by itself and then say it has rebooted.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 09:17 »
I've been doing some reading on the D-Link 302G.
It's basically a Modem with some characteristics of a Router, I actually have no idea what any of this means, I don't think it has a firewall, couldn't find it written anywhere that it has one.

Also the night I did the port forward Michael's computer was on, if he is on line using the Ethernet connection to the Modem, does that affect me port forwarding. So when I tried to Save and Reboot, was the reason it didn't was because of Michael's computer using the Modem as well?
If I do this again should Michael's computer be turned off?

And do we use the same ports seeming that we are both connected to the same Modem.
When I open a port in the Modem does Michael have access to it as well?

As you can see I really don't know how this works.

I still don't understand why I had to install Drivers and install the Modem for me to use the USB connection, when Michael just plugs his in to the Ethernet connection and of he goes?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 09:41 »
Well, I know nothing about networking, so I can't help, sorry Misty.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 11:00 »
I will try and answer your questions in the order that you put them MB.

The modem/router is it a router or not and has it a firewall part.

If it has port forwarding then it has a firewall so in that respect it should work like all the other routers as far as needing to assign the LAN IP of each pc thats connected to it to a port that you want opening for that pc.

Each pc should be able to work independantly of each other.
Michaels pc being on line shouldnt have affected it but it may have given you a message saying similar to this, that other pcs are connected and it will close their connection, when you tried to save settings and reboot.

You have to open the same port but for a different LAN IP for your pc and Michaels pc.
Think of it as a website such as Pals, you can both log on but you need a different username and password which identifies each of you.
The LAN IP is the same as a username and password in that scenario and the port number is the website.

The reason that you have to install drivers to connect by USB is that a USB device needs specific drivers for each device.
Ethernet is a different type of connection that works without drivers for that same device.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2006, 11:53 »
Thanks for that Sandra, it does make sense that if you have to open a port in it, than it has to have a firewall.

Michael has checked his, and it has the same problem, but he hasn't try to port forward yet.
I'll use the port number he has in his UTorrent and try again.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Port forwarding.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 14:56 »
I have port forwarded again using the same port as Michaels and I did the same on his. No difference to either.
He also has a different Default Gateway to me, isn't that the Modem's address?
Also Michael has one extra connection in his internet connections.

Broadband Connection

WAN miniport
      PPPOE

Do I do anything to this one?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 15:11 »

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Port forwarding.
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 15:13 »
Both pcs should have the same gateway  :?

We had problems trying to sort out the pecularities of your setup before quite a long time ago if I remember correctly.

It does seem to be more complicated than most setups  :(

We really need someone whose got the same modem/router as you with a bit more networkin gexperience to sort this out I think  :(

We may have to wait until Gill finishes her IT and Networking course to be able to get around your problems  :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Port forwarding.
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 16:17 »
Not sure if it's the same thing, but there is an option to limit the number of global connections within µTorrent.  Options > Preferences > BitTorrent is the place to go, and you can also disable DHT from there, which might do something, but may also limit the amount of peers you can connect to, thus possibly slowing down your download speed.  Might be better than nothing though.  My Global maximum number of connections is set to 450, and mine works fine on a Netgear DG834G, which is actually one of the routers listed as 'troublesome'.  They suggest lowering to 200, or even 100, so might be worth trying that, Misty.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum