Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Port forwarding.  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Port forwarding.
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2006, 14:29 »
Are you still having the same problem?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2006, 14:47 »
Thats strange MB but now I have read the link I can partially understand it.

Its using a different IP to access the router but either connection should still be able to assig a different LAN IP to both yours and Michaels pcs.

The port forwarding should still refer to the individual LAN IP addresses of whichever pc wants to access a certain site, or program.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2006, 08:05 »
Are you still having the same problem?

Unfortunately for Michael I am, I have something he wants and it's stuck on 98.5%. When I open it nothing happens, it's like it's frozen?
I haven't been using it for a while as I'm been busy sorting other things out, this was doing my head in so I decided to ignore it. We talked about getting another router as the aggravation wasn't worth it. But with the new memory and looking at getting a new graphics card and power supply, oh and of course a new fan. If I get them at the same place maybe I could ask them to throw in a free router.  :)

Sandra, I really don't understand how it works, maybe if I did I could sort this out myself. Michael had a friend over with his computer and they were connected by a router with Michael being connected to the internet via our modem/router, or the router was connected to the ethernet cable from this modem/router. ??? Anyway they were both connected to the internet, and I asked Michael how they did it as we couldn't, except for a smart arse reply about them being geniuses, they didn't tell me. >:(
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 09:44 »
Without reading through the entire thread again, which I don't have time to do right at this minute, it might just be a question of getting another ethernet cable and a network card for your PC, so you can both connect to the router in the same way.  Alternatively, you could look at a wireless network card.  I'll read through the thread again later, and if this doesn't make sense, apologies in advance!  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2006, 11:43 »
There is no hurry on this Simon, I should probably reread it myself.

Form factor: Desktop tower
CPU: Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz with HT Technology
CPU Type: 550
FSB: 800 MHz
Mainboard Chipset: Intel 915P
RAM: 512Mb PC3200 (400Mhz) DDR RAM Dual channel (Memory Controller Supports either DDR/DDR2)
Hard drive: 250Gb 7200 RPM SATA with a 8MB Cache
Optical 1: Dual Layer DVD RW. 16X DVD+/- R (Single layer) 4X DVD+R (Double Layer)
Optical 2: 16X DVD ROM
Audio: Intel High Definition onboard audio (8 audio channels, 192 kHz/32-bit quality)
Video: nVidia Geforce 6610XL PCI-Express x16 128Mb DDR-3
LAN: Onboard 10/100 Mbit Fast-Ethernet & Mini PCI 802.11g wireless LAN
Network Card, Sound Card
Modem: 56k V90 PCI soft modem
Connectivity: Bluetooth module
Multimedia: Stereo TV/FM tuner with remote control, Wireless keyboard and optical mouse

I seem to have a network card, just to refresh your memory, Michael and I have the same computer, except he know has 2x1GB memory, and I now have 4x256Mb. :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44 »
Its ony a 2 port router Simon, one ethernet and one USB, a strange beast.

You could use what is called a switch or even another router (non adsl modem included), which I think Michaels friend brought round.
That way theyd use the ethernet lead from your modem to his friends router and then an ethernet cable from that router to each pc.

Cable BB often works that way.

I think for ADSL though its usually better to have a proper all in one adsl modem 4 port router.

A standard 4 port ethernet router connected to your exising modem could be the cheapest solution for you now though seeing as you already have the modem.

The 10/100 LAN is your pcs ethernet connection MB.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:46 by Sandra »

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2006, 12:00 »
I thought that would have been the easiest solution as well Sandra.
Not sure if it's mentioned, but we did try it, with the same router, it's the one we borrowed to see if it would work, and we had problems with it. Can't remember why now, Michael better look after me when the dementia gets really bad.  :crazy:

Also if we have to spend money on this, I need to check to see if we are able to get ADSL 2 here, which would probably change what we need to buy.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2006, 12:50 »
After going back and reading some of this I realised there was one thing I didn't do, Simon suggested I run TCPView, which I have now done. One thing I noticed is that all the ports that are open have only 4 numbers and the port that I forwarded for UTorrent has 5 numbers? The port that was forwarded is a UDB and the other ports, which are about 20 for UTorrent are TCP ones.
Yes I know I should read up on this stuff to understand what it all means.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2006, 15:15 »
You should only need TCP ports open for torrents I think MB.

Oh and its UDP not UDB  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2006, 18:26 »
Torrents use a higher range of ports, that's the only reason it's 5 digits, MB.

Now I get it about the router.  As Sandra suggested, perhaps it might be worth considering investing in a multi-port router, so you can get it set up properly?  It seems you have the hardware in your PC to do this.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum